Summit Polymers, Inc. is an automotive supplier of injection molded interior trim, which specializes in the engineering, manufacturing, and assembly of feature based registers, consoles and trim panels. High performance, lean manufacturing, and full service product development assure Summit’s continued growth and success. We currently have a great opportunity to join our team.
Summit offers a very competitive compensation and benefit package including medical, dental, vision, prescription, life and disability insurance; generous 401(k), flexible spending options, relocation consideration, tuition reimbursement, and flexible schedules; plus progressive career advancement for high performers. Applicants must include salary requirements and/or history to be considered. Summit is unable to sponsor any additional F1, TN or H1B Visas at this time. This position requires you to be able to meet our pre-employment testing standards and complete all post-hire training expectations. NO RECRUITERS.
The Quality Engineer is a technical position with primary responsibility for development and launch of manufacturing and quality operations for assigned new products. Responsibilities include participation in all program related design, development, and support activities as a member of the Product Development Team.
Under general supervision, this position may be responsible for the following major tasks:
- Participate in Product Development Process in conjunction with chief engineer, program manager, manufacturing technical leader, project engineer, other manufacturing & quality engineers, and other SPI personnel.
- Participate in part design inputs/reviews to assure the manufacturability of the design and to provide input relative to part quality performance, testing and durability requirements.
- Performs manufacturing studies to develop and determine best practices and to provide data for selection/reduction of possible solution sets.
- Creates and utilizes existing trade off curves for tooling, molding, processes, secondary equipment, paint processes, assembly operations, gages, effort fixtures, test fixtures and inspection methods.
- Works with plant to develop and maintain manufacturing plans, standardized work, cell layouts, and PFMEA’s, beginning at Design Input.
- Participates in the establishment of part datum scheme and appropriate GD&T.
- Interfaces with the customer to obtain approvals for gage concepts, SC/CC agreements and related items.
- Creates Bill of Materials and trains plant how to maintain.
- Participates in mold design reviews and assures that tools will be robust in function and process, and that molds support the planned process operations.
- Participates in mold qualification FR/PC procedures.
- Works with plant to develop, procure and qualify secondary equipment, beginning at Design Input. Track budget based on funding from the sales order.
- Works with plant to develop, procure, qualify gauges, test fixtures and track budget based on funding from the sales order.
- Works with plant to develop various processes and initial set-up guidelines for process equipment, including molding, painting, and assembly.
- Develops reports and justifications required to support modifications to processes and/or equipment.
- Analyze workstation and plant layout. Make recommendations and modifications to minimize effort and improve efficiency.
- Works with plant in conjunction with plant Manufacturing Engineer and Quality engineer to process flow diagrams, control plans, inspection instructions / methods and strategies.
- Establishes key characteristics for process control and develops tracking methods.
- Interfaces with SPI lab and Project Engineer by supporting dimensional layouts and product validation testing.
- Responsible to develop and perform PV testing per DVP&R.
- Reviews and approves supplier PPAP submissions.
- Responsible for achieving customer Appearance Approval Reports (AAR).
- Works with plant to complete and deliver the PPAP packages to the customer.
- Acts as a customer contact for visits, sorts, quality issues etc.
- Investigates product defects.
- Participates in product builds and run at rates.
- Supports cost reduction, quality improvements and system improvement efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering and three years experience in the areas of tooling, injection molding processes, finishing, and manufacturing techniques or some instruction in an engineering related curriculum and 5 years experience in the areas of tooling, injection molding processes, finishing and manufacturing techniques. Requires a working knowledge of injection molding processes, tooling, manufacturing techniques, finishing processes- such as: sonic and vibration welding, painting, pad print and hot stamp. Must know the manufacture and repair techniques of injection mold tooling. Must be able to act in a leadership role to facilitate the smooth integration of the tools and process into manufacturing facility. Possess the ability to gather and analyze information and make decisions from a limited number of choices; agreement to complete all post hire training required.
Summit Polymers’ resources are dedicated to exceeding our customers requirements. Highly skilled employees, from engineers to line workers, are combined with advanced technology and state-of-the-art systems to deliver a quality product, on time, at a competitive price.
Summit Polymers’ commitment to continuous improvement in management, quality, cost, delivery and technology allows us to meet the increasing expectations of our customers.