LyondellBasell Basic Function
As an External Affairs Advisor supporting several of our U.S. Gulf Coast assets, this individual will be a member of the Americas External Affairs team. The successful candidate will be responsible for a range of External Affairs services, including proactive stakeholder engagement, media relations, employee communications, social performance and social investment. He/She will utilize external analysis to strategically advise and counsel business leads and executives as it pertains to reputation management and is responsible for operating as a trusted business partner. In this capacity, this individual will serve as a project lead/ owner which includes developing and executing communications plans supporting the business' license to operate and grow. He/She will operate in concert with the Sr. Manager, External Affairs & Crisis Management to identify and address issues and trends, as well as manage and develop communications resources and toolkits. Roles & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Public Affairs Leadership Team to develop and execute communications plans and campaigns for a wide array of corporate activities
- Lead a full range of Corporate Communications strategies and tactics with an enterprise view to ensure integration of company initiatives, including stakeholder engagement, media relations, employee communications, social media, social investment and communications measurement
- Provide leadership counsel to ensure reputation management and leads stakeholder / client interactions and corporate citizenship activities
- Lead strategic planning exercises to develop innovative ideas and concepts
- Utilize external analysis to strategically advise the business leads and executives in managing campaigns, issues, trends and topics.
- Lead and foster an environment for content creation and visual storytelling for LyondellBasell
- Drive the alignment and information sharing among the Public Affairs team about new messaging, resources, upcoming events/activities, etc.
- Project owner and/or lead, creating and executing campaigns and projects with skill and professionalism
- Think several steps ahead and anticipates the needs of clients / stakeholders and management
- Proactively facilitate Public Affairs collaboration and functional alignment
- Manage and develop communications resources and toolkits including but not limited to key message documents, power point presentations, and training materials
- Use metrics to drive decision-making in support of continuous improvement
- Represent the company with the utmost integrity and abides by the LyondellBasell Code of Conduct
- Act as a company spokesperson and manage media / stakeholder interactions, as well as serve as an incident response communications focal point.
- Develop, review and edit communications materials from other functional areas where applicable (e.g., external, marketing communications, internal) for accuracy and consistency
- Cultivate and enhance solid client / stakeholder relationships, as well as develop and execute engagement plans and activities in support of the business objectives
- Counsel and influence business leaders and/or senior management to increase engagement and / or company reputation
- Build consensus and secure buy-in/approval on communications approach
- Partner with in-house design team to execute creative concepts in alignment with overarching corporate messaging and brand standards
- Perform any additional duties as required
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills, both oral and written
- Proven self-starter with strong organizational and leadership skills delivering flawless execution while paying attention to detail and meeting tight deadlines
- Drive resiliency and utilize influencing strategies to tackle opportunities and challenges
- Act as a liaison / facilitator to positively impact and influence across multiple stakeholder groups
- Expert analytical skills, proven ability to lead in a rapidly changing environment
- Engaged business partner with strong stakeholder / client engagement, media relations and reputation management capabilities
- Drive execution in support of the company's reputation plan, as well as individual business / client objectives
- Stay abreast of industry issues / challenges and identify mitigation strategies to alleviate potential reputational risks for the company
- Command of AP Style, while having strong and efficient writing competencies across digital and print platforms
- Proven ability to multitask and deliver excellence under pressure
- Experience supporting site leadership, business executives and/or C-suite
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, communications or public relations or related field
- Minimum of 8+ years of professional experience or 5+ years of relative experience as a communications professional in external affairs / communications, marketing or public relations
- Preferred prior experience working in the chemical, manufacturing or related industry in a communications related field with strong writing capabilities
- Understanding of the Incident Command System (or similar) structure a plus
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2022, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the fifth consecutive year.
We have the potential - and responsibility - to use this scale and reach to make a positive impact across our value chains. That's why we are working to make meaningful progress to address some of the world's most pressing challenges such as reducing plastic waste in the environment, helping to mitigate climate change and contributing to a thriving society for our employees, the communities where we operate and the people who depend on our products. To learn more, click here.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here. Nearest Major Market:
- Ap Stylebook
- Attention To Detail
- Business Planning
- Business Process Improvement
- Coaching And Mentoring