LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the third consecutive year.Basic Function
The Applications Development and Technical Service engineer provides technical support to strategic customers and creates customer and market opportunities for LyondellBasell through applications development and technical service activities in targeted market segments. Also leads identified product and applications development programs in support of market segment strategies.
This position is located in Cincinnati, Ohio and includes about 20% to 50% travel.Roles & Responsibilities
- Provides targeted technical support to strategic external customers, as well as internal customers such as Business, Sales, Marketing, and Manufacturing.
- Understands customer and market needs, translates these into resin requirements/specifications, and works with cross functional groups to frame these into value added opportunities.
- Investigates and resolves customer complaints regarding product performance or quality with a long term focus on manufacturing excellence.
- Initiates and manages value added product and applications development projects in collaboration with other functions including Business, Product Development, Research and Development and Manufacturing
- Supports profitable product line growth through customer qualifications of new, improved or existing products for existing applications as well as new applications.
- Participates in and/or leads various activities related to LyondellBasell's product stewardship protocol.
- Provides support to manufacturing plants including process improvement initiatives and other activities aimed at operational excellence and continuous improvement in line with business needs.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations at meetings or conferences, and actively participate in technical organizations and professional associations related to the targeted markets and technologies.
- Provide technical advice and training to internal (sales support, technicians, etc. and especially external customers on product recommendations, processing, and application of new or existing products.
- Assist creation and management of product datasheets, technical bulletins, and other technical product literature and support market development in creation of application and market literature.
- Known as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for their specific area of responsibility.
Primary Internal and External Touch Points
- Customer: Technical Management and Engineers, Manufacturing Management and Engineers, Quality Assurance Engineers and Line Operators
- Industry Associations: Legislators, Standards Groups and other Industry experts
- Internal: Marketing Managers, Asset Managers, Account Representatives, Product Development and R&D Researchers, Manufacturing and Production Engineers, Product Safety Consultants, Specifications Management Consultants, Operations Planners and Supply Chain Representatives
Position requires a University / College degree in engineering or the sciences, or equivalent years of relevant experience.
Master Degree and PhD are a plus.
Polymer extrusion and/or injection molding and/or compounding experience are a plus.
Strong leadership, customer focus, results orientation, technological orientation, communication, problem solving, project management and decision making skills are essential for this position.
The position requires 20 to 50% travel within the US, Canada, Mexico and South AmericaPreferred QualificationsCompetenciesBuilds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Cincinnati