The Cardiac Management Solutions division of ZOLL Medical Corporation develops products to protect and manage cardiac patients, including the LifeVest® wearable cardioverter defibrillator (WCD), the ZOLL cardiac monitor, and associated technologies.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the U.S. At ZOLL, your work will help to ensure cardiac patients get the life-saving therapy they need. To date, the LifeVest WCD has been worn by hundreds of thousands of patients and saved thousands of lives.
ZOLL has been Pittsburgh’s Manufacturer of the Year, one of Western PA’s Healthiest Employers, and even one of Pittsburgh’s Coolest Offices. But it’s our unique opportunity to impact people’s lives that makes ZOLL the ideal place to build your career.
We’ve been Pittsburgh’s Manufacturer of the Year, one of Western PA’s Healthiest Employers, and even one of Pittsburgh’s Coolest Offices. But it’s our unique opportunity to impact people’s lives that makes ZOLL LifeVest the ideal place to build your career.
At ZOLL LifeVest, our vision is to revolutionize the prevention of sudden cardiac arrest, which claims more lives annually than breast cancer, lung cancer and HIV/AIDS combined in the United States. On any given day, tens of thousands of people are protected from sudden cardiac death by wearing the LifeVest.
Fueled by the success of the business, the ZOLL R&D team is growing rapidly. ZOLL’s ongoing investment in Research and Development aims to further increase the array of clinical products and applications in tandem with expanding the population of cardiac patients that may be helped by our products. Our Pittsburgh based R&D group is comprised of an exceptional team of talented, collaborative, and driven individuals focused on developing real world solutions through the creative and intelligent use of technology that helps to improve patient lives.
We are actively seeking technical contributors at all levels and across many disciplines (including enterprise/web and embedded software, electrical/hardware, mechanical/industrial, test, systems engineering, project/program management, human factors, systems analysis, and technical writing among others). You will be developing new and improved products and services, solving technically challenging problems, and working with an outstanding team of technical professionals who are dedicated to protecting patients from sudden cardiac death and saving lives.
The specific duties vary across roles. However, there are some common traits applicable to all:
- You need to be well grounded in your technical discipline, ideally through a mix of education and a demonstrated successful track record of performance.
- Your passion for your craft will be obvious. You need to be able to juggle multiple responsibilities at once in an exciting, invigorating environment of rapid growth.
- You must be able to achieve timely results under high standards of workmanship that are accountable to both regulatory agencies and ultimately our patients.
Here are some specific opportunities currently available at ZOLL LifeVest. We have multiple positions open at each level. If any of these positions sound like a fit for you, please send us a paragraph or two with specific examples explaining why along with your resume.
The Advisory Technical Program Manager is responsible for the overall coordination and execution of product development and embedded software release activities through the application of the product development process. The Advisory Technical Program Manager provides cross-functional (R&D and non-R&D) leadership for embedded software product development. This includes working with the scrum team to create comprehensive project plans, collaborating with functional managers to ensure availability of resources, working with product managers to develop product plans, and tracking performance against targets. Small hardware projects or combined software/hardware projects may also be assigned to the project manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, lead, and track the execution of cross-functional project schedules by closely working with, technical leads, engineering management (Hardware Engineering, Software Engineering), and cross-functional department management (Product Management, Operations, Services, Regulatory, Quality, etc.) .
- Manage individual software projects using Agile software development methodology. Includes familiarity with scrum nomenclature, tools, and philosophies
- Produce detailed project plans specifying: technical scope, goals per project phase, objectives and strategy, staffing requirements, budget, risks, contingency plans, and allocation of resources.
- Lead the cross-functional project team in identification and resolution of project issues. Responsible for encouraging and implementing creative approaches to problem solving and project trade-off decisions. Responsible for resolving alternative approaches and keeping a clear project path in place for the team.
- Collaborate with Product Managers to develop measurable and achievable product requirements, responding to requests for changes from original requirements in an organized manner.
- Prepare project status reports and keep the development team, functional managers and executive team informed of project status and related issues.
- Collaborate with the project delivery team to prepare and present project gate materials for approval at phase gates
- Advance the development of the Technical Program Management team by acting as a mentor and leader for less experienced systems engineers.
- Identify and utilize appropriate vendors and contractors to support project teams, if necessary. Administer and manage business relationships with external resources such as design firms, consultants, and partners.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Educations and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or similar discipline required
- Engineer with demonstrated ability to plan, direct, and conduct engineering research and development activities.
- Strong technical background with a minimum 8 years hands on engineering experience in at least one of the core discipline (SW,HW,ME,SE). Preferably within a multidisciplinary team.
- In addition, a minimum of 5 years of program management experience in design and development of projects involving embedded software product development.
- Practical experience using Agile methodology for software development
- Certified Scrum Master is a plus
- Medical device, regulatory is a plus
- Experience using Microsoft Project is a plus
- Program Management Professional (PMP) and INCOSE CSEP is a plus
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems and make appropriate judgment calls to insure the correct outcome.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and demonstrable and practical experience using Microsoft Project.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, walk, talk and hear. Employee may occasionally be required to lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.