Position is with a domestic missions agency of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC). Organization was founded in 1998 through a restructuring that combined the efforts of 3 other faith based organizations.
The application support specialist responsibilities include providing necessary technical support relating to various applications, system-level software, compilers, and other general computing applications.
They are responsible for any malfunctioning of applications or software systems and analyzing necessary software requirements. The application support specialists are generally employed in different industries such as information technology, medical, military, aerospace, communications, business, scientific, etc., and are considered a part of software development or system software field.
The application support specialists also participate in the research and system application needs to visualize any problems for users. They also provide assistance to the customers or clients regarding the use of various software applications.
They are also involved in modifying current software and correcting errors which may then help in adapting new hardware and upgrading interfaces.The application support specialists also plan changes in the existing system and suggest the installation of the new system.
The application support field is a good career option to start your career with. Each and every industry requires an application support specialist for a smooth functioning of their application software and hardware.
To start your career in this field, you must be aware of the basic educational criteria, skills required, and job responsibilities to be undertaken by an application support specialist.
The below given information about the educational qualification, key skills, job responsibilities, and salary of an application support specialist will help you in planning your career in this field.
To start your career as an application support specialist, a candidate must at least possess an bachelor's degree in computer science along with a professional experience of application support job. Many organizations and industries, however, prefer candidates with a master's degree or degree in any of the following courses:
Computer Programming with specific application
Computer Software Engineering
Computer Software Technology
Expert knowledge about computer applications and computer hardware are the basic skills required in an application support specialist. Along with these skills, the specialist must also possess some of the following key skills:
Knowledge about the computer hardware, which include computer chips, circuit boards, processors, electronic equipment, etc.
Practical knowledge about computer engineering along with designing proper plans and system architecture
Expert communication skills, both verbal as well as written
Knowledge about principles to provide customer satisfaction by meeting quality standards
Expert knowledge about design technique tools, precision technical plans, blueprints, models, and drawings
Knowledge about transmission, switching, broadcasting, and telecommunication working principles
Knowledge about administration and management principles
The major job responsibility of an application support specialist is to provide necessary support in the current working applications or other system errors. However, he is also responsible for carrying out the following responsibilities:
- Correcting errors if any and modifying the existing software
- Upgrade interfaces by updating the hardware for better performance of the system
- Undergo a detailed study of the existing system to and recommend installation or up gradation of a new system
- Interact with customers or clients about the project status and solve their technical issues if any
- Prepare and maintain reports for each and every project handled
- Installing various software systems
- Provide training to the users regarding any upgraded systems
- Provide direction during software programming and development of documentation
- Confer with the project managers regarding any issues in data processing
- Making use of scientific analysis and mathematical models to design and develop various system designs
- Monitoring equipment functioning to ensure system operation according to the specifications
- Supervise the work of technologist, technicians, and scientific personnel
- Developing and implementing control algorithms with the use of microcontrollers
- Keeping track of expenses during the installation process of new systems