The UPS Store, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of UPS is the world's largest franchisor of retail shipping, postal, printing and business service centers. The UPS Store has over 5,000 independently owned locations in the U.S. and Canada. If you're looking for an exciting and dynamic career opportunity, we want to hear from you!
The Business Information & Analysis (BIA) Senior Database Developer Analyst interacts with functional representatives, business analysts, database analysts and Application Development project teams to apply data operations requirements to support the effective storage and retrieval of data. Functionally leads other database analysts. The BIA Sr. Database Developer Analyst provides the definition of logical and physical data elements to promote data sharing, reuse of data objects, and a coherent data source strategy. Demonstrates a significant understanding and analysis of applications transformation of data into business information and the manner that information supports and enables key business processes.
The Business Information & Analysis (BIA) Senior Database Developer Analyst drives consistency and maintains departmental standards and procedures for database environments. The BIA Sr. Database Developer Analyst implements and maintains the department’s production and development databases. He/She monitors and analyzes performance metrics, back-up, and recovery procedures and allocates database resources to achieve optimum database performance. This position supervises others within the department.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Analyzes performance and financial results and completes trend reports to provide an executive summary of results to stakeholders and senior management
- Conducts processes and methodology analyses to determine outstanding evaluations and testing needs based on changes in service/product rate setting and recent events
- Designs and reviews costing model tools and processes to ensure cross-functional teams have tools in place to support initiatives
- Tests costing model tools and processes to ensure the cost development team has support and assistance necessary to perform their job effectively
- Verifies data received from requesters or other database sources to ensure the quality and quantity of the data is sufficient to satisfy statistical assumptions
- Analyzes the data received from the data sources to determine and apply appropriate data analysis methods
- Interprets statistical model results to offer an unbiased determination of hypothesis testing or viability of the project
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of data modeling principles and drives process improvements based on industry best practices
- Understands physical database design principles and assists in developing the physical data model; provides mentoring on analysis, data design, data modeling, and current solutions
- Conducts application training to provide end users with information on the systems functionality
Knowledge and Skills
- Statistical Forecasting Methods: Demonstrates a working knowledge of the selection and development of statistical forecasting models
- Data Analysis Methods: Demonstrates a working knowledge of qualitative and quantitative data analysis methods; data preparation, validation, editing, coding, descriptive statistics and descriptive and inferential analysis
- Data Analytics: Demonstrates a working knowledge and experience building descriptive, diagnostic, and predictive analytics tools
- Business, Financial, and Industry Knowledge: Demonstrates a general understanding of industry and financial trends impacting UPS and/or customers’ organizations; identifies the organizational structure and functions within a business
- Quality Assurance Knowledge: Communicates quality assurance methodology and explains desired outcomes of testing; identifies the steps in the project life cycle.
- Solicits and Gathers Information: Demonstrates a working knowledge of techniques for soliciting and gathering information; identifies appropriate sources of information
- Solves Customer Problems: Recognizes when customers are having issues; identifies resolution to basic customer issues and recommends solutions
- Bachelor's Degree (or internationally comparable degree) in Business, Computer Science, Industrial Engineering, Finance, or related discipline – Preferred
- Experience supervising others – Preferred
- Experience data modeling with business intelligence tools such as Tableau or MS Power BI – Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law