IT Support Specialist I
San Antonio, TX
Provides ongoing technical support and maintenance of production and development systems and software products (both remote and onsite) and for configured services running on various platforms (operating within a defined operating model and processes). Provides hardware/software support at the operating system-level across pre-defined server and network areas. Responsible for Level 1 basic level troubleshooting. This does require working overnight hours and rotating weekend support. Skill sets require core UNIX competency, shell scripting, entry level SQL, execution and interpretation of basic java command line. Entry level experience with DSE Cassandra, Confluent Kafka, hBase, Spark architecture and operations.
- Implements routine changes on production systems.
* Supports the integration of new technologies into existing infrastructure.
* Resolves Level 1 incidents affecting the operation/availability of production systems, through troubleshooting and implementing known fixes.
* Deploys standard repeatable build outs.
* Patches and maintains appropriate technologies (e.g. servers/databases/network/ storage/software solutions).
* Supports routine backup strategies and disaster recovery tests.
* Reviews system performance indicators and raises issues to more senior level team members.
* Assists with monitoring vendors' release notes and plan necessary upgrades and patches as required.
* Assists with creating and reviewing technical system recovery plans.
* Reviews the problem management register and identifies actions.
* Maintains third-party tools.
* Makes proactive suggestions for service improvements.
HS Diploma or GED; Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or a related field preferred or equivalent relevant experience.
0-2 years of experience in information technology, systems administration or other IT related field.
Night Shift Availability - REQUIRED
Other Job Specific Skills
* Knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems and products that include Microsoft Windows 7 & 8, Windows Servers, Microsoft Office and SharePoint 2013, Microsoft Lync 2013.
* Applies standard methodology, techniques, procedures and criteria. * Ability to troubleshoot and resolve basic/routine system hardware, software or networking related problems.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and to translate technical terminology into terms understandable to non-technical employees.
* Strong customer service skills.
* Experience with Citrix, SAN storage systems, VMware (vCenter) a plus.
* 1 year+ of Apache Spark Operations.
* Experience with Apache Kafka
* Experience providing technical application support for Enterprise client-server/database applications.