The Building and Systems Engineering (BaSE) Automation Equipment Specialist works with Plant Engineering (PE) maintenance mechanics to troubleshoot, calibrate, analyze and adjust Automated Sortation Systems to maintain optimal performance of Plant Floor equipment. He/She responds to sort calls and breakdowns and expedites completion while adhering to safety standards. The BaSE Automation Equipment Specialist works with outside vendors (Intralox, SICK, Siemens, etc.) as well as UPS’s Automation Technology Center via telephone. He/She proactively identifies equipment or human machine interface concerns that are the cause of system defects by combining the individual’s technical knowledge and analytical skills to support an Automated Sortation system. This position requires the Specialist to have a working knowledge of the entire Automation Sortation system and processes required to support conveyors, sensors, photo eyes, encoders, PLCs, diverters, laser scanners, imaging systems, dimensioning systems, HMIs, PC hardware and applications and uninterruptable power supplies.
This is a development position for future full-time BaSE Supervisors in automated facilities. He/She will be trained on all duties by existing BaSE management.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Audits, calibrates, analyzes, tests, troubleshoots, reports, prevents and responds to system performance and concerns during sort
- Works with vendors and Automation Technology Center
- Supports conveyors, sensors, photo eyes, encoders, PLCs, diverters, laser scanners, imaging systems, dimensioning systems, HMIs, PC hardware and applications and uninterruptable power supplies
- Helps with Maximo input, maintains spare parts, and oversees small projects
Knowledge and Skills
- Working knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems as well as communication components of Automation Sortation System
- Understands AC and DC motors, 480v power systems, PLCs, guarding, facility safety, compliance, Microsoft operating systems, IT and network interfaces, programming and database development tools
- Bachelor's Degree (or internationally comparable degree) or equivalent work experience - Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law