LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the third consecutive year.Basic Function
LyondellBasell, one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies, is seeking a R&D Catalyst Chemist Researcher for the Cincinnati Technology Center (CTC) in Cincinnati, Ohio. CTC is a state-of-the-art R&D facility which supports LyondellBasell's North American Polyolefins Business. CTC R&D focuses on providing the best catalyst andy polymer technologies, polyolefin products, and technical support for our Polyolefins Manufacturing and Business organizations.
The R&D Catalyst Researcher leads efforts in the identification, optimization, and industrialization of catalysts for polyolefin polymerization. This includes identifying and developing catalyst technologies that allow development of new or improved polyolefin grades or reduced costs and/or increased efficiencies at our manufacturing plants. The Researcher develops and directs laboratory projects, and both leads and participates in dynamic cross-functional teams.
This is an exciting career opportunity to work in a Global R&D organization with Industry Experts in polyolefin catalysts, polymerization technologies, and products. This position offers a competitive base salary, annual bonus, 401K matching, generous benefits package including pension plan, employee discounts, and more.Roles & Responsibilities
- Identify, develop and direct laboratory projects related to catalyst chemistry, polyolefin polymerization, polymer characterization, and polymer processing.
- Initiate and develop ideas for catalyst development opportunities, along with conducting scouting research and designing experiments to develop proof-of-concept, with the intent of establishing technical and commercial feasibility
- Provide technical subject matter expertise (SME) or become known as a technical SME and a company resource in polyolefin catalysis and their specific areas of technical responsibility.
- Understand internal customer needs to identify opportunities and develop projects to enhance product value or manufacturing capabilities.
- Support industrialization trials at the manufacturing plants for scale-up of new / improved catalyst or polymer technologies and products meeting the desired performance requirements.
- Provide support to manufacturing plants, including process improvement initiatives and other activities aimed at operational excellence and continuous improvement in line with business needs.
- Lead and participate in cross-functional project teams including R&D, Manufacturing, and Business colleagues.
- Work effectively with colleagues to plan, execute, problem solve, and communicate laboratory programs and experimental results related to catalyst chemistry, olefin polymerization, and polymerization process.
- Demonstrate leadership and the ability to positively influence and enhance individual and team performance.
- Interface with Technical Service, Marketing, Sales, Procurement, Product Management, Manufacturing, Product Safety, and Intellectual Property group members in support of business needs.
- Interact and collaborate with global R&D colleagues to drive technology sharing between regions.
- Strong commitment to personal safety, process safety, and promoting a safe work environment.
- Support thorough hazard analyses of laboratory operations and process equipment.
- Requires occasional travel.
PhD in Chemistry, preferably Organometallic or Inorganic Chemistry or other directly-related technical field.
The candidate must demonstrate a strong understanding of olefin polymerization catalyst chemistry, polymerization processes, and polymer structure. A minimum of 3-10 years of industrial experience is desired, preferably in the Polyolefins industry. Preference will be given to candidates having experience with bench-scale laboratory equipment, experimental design, and statistical data analysis.
- Highly self-motivated individual, committed to delivering results in a safe, timely, and effective manner.
- Positive team behaviors, including interpersonal skills, positive attitude, information sharing, and holding self and others to a high standard of performance.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making, Initiative, Results Orientation, Collaboration, Communication, and Innovation & Creativity are required for the position.
- Strong technical orientation, able to use and build on their technical education, training, and experience to perform well in an R&D work environment.
- Excellent chemical handling skills and understanding of flammable and/or hazardous material safety.
- Strong experimental design, bench scale laboratory equipment, and statistical data analysis ability.
- Excellent attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Highly proficient in project management.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with technicians, fellow researchers, plant engineers, and upper management.
- Good organizational and time management skills and the ability to effectively manage multiple and/or changing priorities with minimal supervision.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Cincinnati