General Description of Position:
The Circuit Design Engineer plays a key role in the delivery of the transport circuit that is needed for internal network circuits and the product sold to the customer. In order for the service to benefit both the customer and the company, the least cost path is obtained for each circuit and available inventory is utilized properly. Coordination within various internal departments ensures overall customer satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strong understanding of voice networking fundamentals; i.e. traditional voice applications, PBX environments, wiring, traditional Class 5 switching fundamentals, and service variations such as Trunk, PRI, POTS, Ground Starts, Loop Start, Trunking, etc.
- Must understand and work with various network inventory elements; i. e. DS0, DS1 circuits, DS3 circuits, Optical, DSX panels, DACS units, cross-connect scenarios, common inventory languages, relay racks, panels, jacks, multiplexed ports, Genband switch ports, and CFA (channel facility assignments).
- Logically map circuit details based on requirements stated on customer orders for on-net and off-net circuits followed by submitting and managing circuit orders with LEC s, IXC s, and CLEC s via ASR/LSR utilizing LSOG ordering rules.
- Read and interpret Circuit and Design Layout Records (CLR & DLR) information to service delivery, network engineering, repair, field operations, and customer care workgroups.
- Self-manage large orders, often on a time-critical schedule. It is imperative that the Circuit Design Engineer be flexible, communicate effectively, and share in the project responsibilities for unusual or exceptionally complex multi-location or high-density orders.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing with industry personnel, vendors, sales, service delivery, and engineering personnel. Must be able to effectively communicate both in writing and verbally to help management staff prepare detailed and proficient written, project and/or order, summaries.
- Ensure that established Service Level Agreements (SLA) are being met, specifically; intervals for FOC and DLR delivery.
- Work in a fast-paced, environment, where a team-based approach is always taken while maintaining the discipline to ensure that an accurate product is always produced.
- Ability to proficiently manage demanding customer requirements given time constraints and deadlines, while multi-tasking other projects.
- Organize customer orders, coordinate with internal departments as required, maintain timely customer/vendor communication, and manage the orders from inception through to completion.
- This position will also be required to manage orders in an expedited fashion while keeping calm, cool, and collected.
- Must have strong negotiation skills
- Be proficient in Excel
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Business or Telecommunications.
- 5 to 7 or more years of experience in Telecommunications Circuit Design / Delivery, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.