LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 55 sites in 17 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including; packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.Basic Function
The External Affairs Advisor based in the greater Houston area is responsible for developing and administering communications strategies using best-in-class methods supporting the businesses' license to operate and grow, working closely with the U.S. and global External Affairs teams. The communications plans and programs developed as part of the overarching strategy for the region must be measurable and align with the company strategy.
The successful candidate will interact with Public Affairs counterparts in the U.S. and will have the opportunity over time to support various teams within the Corporate Communications group. Additionally, the successful candidate will work closely with Government Relations to ensure government, community and communications strategies are aligned. It is imperative that the External Affairs Advisor understands and flags key sensitive issues and trends in both the local/regional political arena (e.g. county government) and within the communities they serve.
The External Affairs Advisor must have strong verbal and written skills, the ability to engage and provide strategic counsel to senior leaders, as well as develop/maintain strong working relationships with key media outlets, industry association counterparts, key stakeholders, and fellow Public Affairs counterparts.Roles & Responsibilities
- Support the full range of External Affairs services needed in the region, including stakeholder engagement, media relations, employee communications, social performance and social investment.
- Provides strategic advice to regional business clients and external affairs colleagues.
- Serve as a trusted partner to the business by understanding the vision of management and clients, acting as the first line of contact for regional communications planning, advice and strategy to enhance programs and activities.
- Partnering with the business to identify, assess and engage stakeholders with a regional view.
- Sensing, analyzing and reporting stakeholder activity in the political, social and regulatory arena.
- Responsible for proactively identifying, assessing, mitigating and managing emerging issues and trends in country.
- Engage with U.S. External Affairs peers to ensure alignment with strategies, goals, issues, initiatives, activities, messaging and measurement.
- Act as the company spokesperson and manage key regional media interactions, as well as serve as the incident response communications focal point.
- Maintain and enhance stakeholder relationships, as well as develop and execute engagement plans and activities in support of the business objectives.
- Act as a project manager, executing communications plans and projects with a degree of skill and professionalism.
- Develop compelling content for employee, external and social media use.
- Present and secure buy-in/approval from site leaders on projects, messaging, media responses, etc.
- Perform media tracking of all engagements and coverage secured as part of the communications plan.
- Lead communications on a regional level in support of global campaigns such as Global Care Day and Global Safety Day.
- Serve as the representative for community and local government relations on key projects in communities where we operate.
- Consult with and support the Government Relations team in its engagement activities, including site tours, to elevate the LyondellBasell brand and reputation.
- Act as a communications lead on an industry association, where appropriate, to help drive the desired messaging on issues.
- Degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Mass Communication and Journalism or related field are preferred
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Proven ability in business partnering, stakeholder engagement, media relations and reputation management
- Strong listening and influencing skills to enlist involvement/support from clients internally as well as with external parties
- A broad understanding of energy industry issues and external stakeholder perspectives
- Ability to think strategically about external stakeholder engagement in support of the company's reputation plan, as well as individual business objectives
- Possess initiative to think several steps ahead in the communications process and anticipate needs of clients
- Ability to analyze any situation, adapt to a rapidly changing environment, and develop a path forward for improving efficiency
- Proven self-starter, willingness to assume management of complex projects, paying attention to detail and setting priorities to meet deadlines
- Must be well organized, detail oriented, flexible and able to handle a diverse workload, and proven ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Capable of interfacing and coordinating with a wide variety of personalities, inclusive in approach
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and manage sensitive materials
- Professional, reliable, flexible and has a positive, can-do attitude
- Exceptional judgement; ability to think strategically and tactically under pressure, constantly adjusting priorities as circumstances change
- Sets stretch targets for self to ensure high quality performance
- Excels at being a proactive team player
- Proficiency in computer skills including MS Office / Office 365
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience as a communications professional
- Microsoft Office / Microsoft 365 skills
- Solid experience in External Relations, Marketing or Public Relations working in the chemical or energy industry
- Knowledge of Crisis Management and the Incident Command System (or similar) structure
- Chemical industry or similar experience is preferred
- AP style preferred
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston