LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 55 sites in 17 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including; packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
The Contract Specialist role is to provide support within Legal to efficiently and effectively prepare and negotiate Intellectual Property contracts, particularly confidentiality agreements. The position will handle a very high volume of confidentiality agreements sourced globally and works closely with IP Legal Counsel.
This position reports to the Chief IP Counsel, and is located at our North American Headquarters in Downtown Houston. The position offers a competitive base salary, bonus, 401K matching, generous benefits package, pension plan, parking subsidy and employee discounts.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Draft, evaluate, and negotiate contracts.
- Provide contract-related issue resolution, both internally and externally
- Monitor and complete contract close-out, extension or renewal, as appropriate.
- Receive, review, track, and assign legal requests from clients throughout the company and located in all jurisdictions.
- Help to manage the CDA Manager application which is used to create and track all confidentiality agreements.
- Ensure accurate record keeping for all contract-related correspondence and documentation.
- Communicate contract-related information and status updates to all stakeholders
- Interact with clients to discuss workflow needs and priorities, and provide general advice.
- Provide advice to clients regarding confidentiality agreements.
- Work closely with others to appropriately integrate contractual terms.
- Provide reporting as assigned.
- Maintain and update all contract templates.
- Work with clients and Legal personnel to identify areas of improvement in the contract process and implement necessary changes.
- Provide training on the contract process.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum of three years responsibility in contract negotiation, administration, and management.
- Demonstrated expertise in reviewing, drafting, and negotiating contracts.
- Demonstrated analytical, technical, and problem-solving skills.
- Commercial awareness and ability to apply sound business judgment to provide pragmatic solutions.
- Must be proficient in contract development, contract standards and language, review of modifications, amendments and contract closeout documents.
- Ability to understand technology and associated intellectual property and trade secrets to identify important issues.
- Well organized, proactive, and works independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be very detail-oriented and thorough.
- Demonstrates good judgment and initiative.
- High level of skill in all core competencies (communication, initiative, work-planning, problem solving, results orientation).
- Strong verbal communication skills, and excellent written communication skills.
- Keen ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing quality or client service; thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while managing shifting priorities.
- Strong negotiation skills; listen well and seek clarification; anticipate and respond well to questions; communicate thoughts clearly and concisely.
- Ability to quickly learn and comprehend new and unfamiliar technical, industry and legal terminology.
- Must be able to interact regularly with numerous technically oriented internal and external customers.
IT Systems & Tools:
- Proficiency of standard desktop productivity tools (i.e. Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Internet access skills. Ability to master new systems and information technology tools.
Builds effective teams:
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity:
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston