Job Description: Controller (Biotech/Startup)
Location: Cambridge, MA
Position Type: Direct hire/Permanent
Our Biotechnology client is looking to hire a hands-on Controller to join their team on a permanent basis. Our client is going for their Series D funding and still in the “startup” phase. We are looking for a collaborative Controller, who has experience working in startup environments, who is comfortable wearing many hats. This person must be willing to role up their sleeves and be very team-oriented.
Partner with all departments within the Company and work with the SVP Finance to build the finance organization, taking on day to day responsibility for a rapidly growing company’s finance and accounting functions.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards
- Participate in key areas of the monthly financial close to ensure timely and accurate reporting on financial results
- Ensure that appropriate systems and internal controls are implemented and maintained including overseeing the maintenance of QuickBooks accounting, Expensify expense reimbursement and installation of purchasing software
- Perform general ledger account analysis and reconciliations
- Manage accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll with supporting resources
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner
- Communicate clearly monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of Company’s financial status
- Assist in the annual budgeting and planning process
- Oversee all financial accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with budgets
- Work in partnership with all other functional areas, continuously collaborating to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations
- Other responsibilities as normally required of Controller
- Bachelor’s degree in accountancy required
- 5+ years of work experience
- Experience working in a smaller, ideally a startup, environment
- Cost accounting experience is a plus
- Strong analytical skill sets and proactive approach
- Incredibly detail-oriented and results driven
- Collaborative team player, while also capable of doing self-directed / self-initiated work
- Strong computer desktop skills required including Microsoft Excel skills, QuickBooks Online
- Exemplary planning and time management skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks
- Mix of public and private accounting in the life science industry (Pharma/Biotech/Medical Device)
- CPA and/or public accounting background
**If this is not a fit for you or you are not interested, Ascent Services Group offers an excellent Referral Bonus! We look forward to hearing from you!
About Ascent: The Ascent Services Group (ASG) is a nationally recognized technology staffing and consulting firm whose fundamental business is providing staffing services to Small, Medium, and Large Enterprise clients in our core market verticals: Financial Services, Healthcare, Technology and Life Sciences. As consultants for ASG, you will have access to many of the top clients within the industries we serve. Our goal is to deliver innovative talent through proven best practices and effective resource optimization. Become one of ASG’s candidates and experience the difference!