1+ year long contract
The Data Center Operations team is primarily focused on delivering Workday SaaS services and internal systems to support our SAAS applications. As a Data Center Operations Engineer you will help grow Workday's rapidly expanding Data Center presence as part of a world-wide team of Data Center Operations engineers. You will help implement new data center infrastructures as well as make improvements and upgrades to the current environment.
Data Center Operations Engineers work as a technical resource providing the assistance necessary for day-to-day data center operation. The engineers ensures minimal downtime of data center equipment and plays an active role in maintaining its mission-critical data servers, network and physical infrastructure. The engineer must make sure that the issues are escalated appropriately. They should work with high concentration and attention regarding security issues including access rights and privileges, confidentiality and many other threats.
- Primarily focused on day to day Data Center, Server & Network hardware break-fix & large scale infrastructure build and deployment within tight deadlines.
- Responsible for troubleshooting connectivity issues with copper or fiber cabling.
- Provide technical communication pertaining to configurations in a concise, professional manner.
- Possess good knowledge of internal ticketing systems to provide proper customer service.
- Must identify and resolve complex server hardware failures to include the replacement of failed hardware components.
- Receive, track and deploy server and network hardware.
- On site spares stock control, tracking and monitoring
- Perform installation, racking, and cabling services for servers and network infrastructure, both personally and through smart hands services
- Follow and implement processes and procedures that improve stability, performance and availability.
- Update and Maintain data center documentation including port maps, rack layouts, PDU management and asset management thorough our DCIM and Power management tooling.
- Possess sound knowledge of operating systems, networking and security
- Ensure established policies and procedures are followed and compliance requirements are met.
- Implement data center and infrastructure solutions that address growth, risks and scale in support of Workday's business plans.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively across many organizations and various levels.
- Perform maintenance on servers & network infrastructure, including physical parts replacements.
- Technical Degree or equivalent experience.
- 2+ Years working within a high availability & high security Data Center environment.
- Experience following and implementing large scale technical infrastructure rollouts within a Data Center environment.
- Data Center, Network/Server troubleshooting and hardware break-fix experience.
- Previous experience following and maintaining Data Center industry best practices.
- Hands on expertise and experience with data center physical layer, racking and hardware maintenance.
- Cable management to an extremely high standard with attention to detail.
- Industry standard knowledge for copper and fiber cabling within data center environment.
- Data Center documentation and asset tracking (Jira, Confluence, Visio, DCIM, etc)
- Juniper/Cisco/Dell or Client hardware experience advantageous.
- Ability to plan and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work at heights, lift server & network hardware regularly.
- Systems & Network deployment experience is a plus (Junos, IOS, Network and system build tools, etc).
- Proficiency in Linux, preferably CentOS desirable.