Title: Data Center Engineer
Location: Beaverton, OR
Type: 6 months contract with potential extensions
The Data Center Operations Engineer provides all necessary assistance in regard to IT infrastructure. They ensure that the data center environment is secure and operational for our customers. Primarily focused on day to day Data Center, Server & Network hardware break-fix & large scale infrastructure build and deployment within tight deadlines.
- Responsible for troubleshooting connectivity issues with copper or fiber cabling.
- Provide technical communication pertaining to configurations in a concise, professional manner.
- Possess good knowledge of internal ticketing systems to provide proper customer service.
- Must identify and resolve complex server hardware and operating system failures to include the replacement of failed hardware components.
- Provide on-call support for off hours data center escalations
Perform regular scheduled out of hours maintenance window support
- Oversee co-location Smart Hands services.
- Perform maintenance on servers & network infrastructure, including physical parts replacements.
- Possible travel to other Workday Data Center locations to assist with projects as needed.
- Technical Degree or equivalent experience.
- 4+ Years working within a high availability & high security Data Center environment.
- Experience following and implementing large scale technical infrastructure rollouts within a Data Center environment.
- Data Center ,Network/Server troubleshooting and hardware break-fix experience.
- Strong knowledge of all layers of the TCP/IP stack and common Internet services/protocols such as SMTP, DNS, LDAP, NTP, HTTP.
- Proficiency in at least one of the following: shell scripting, Perl, Java, Python or Ruby highly desirable.
- Strong Linux scripting skills : Bash, Perl, Python.
- Previous experience following and maintaining Data Center industry best practices.
- Hands on expertise and experience with data center physical layer, racking and hardware maintenance.
- Cable management to an extremely high standard with attention to detail.
- Industry standard knowledge for copper and fiber cabling within data center environment.
- Data Center documentation and asset tracking (Jira, Confluence, Visio, DCIM, etc).
- Juniper/Cisco/Dell or Client hardware experience advantageous.
- Ability to plan and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work at heights, lift server & network hardware regularly.
- Network deployment experience is a plus (Junos, IOS, Network and system build tools, etc).
- Proficiency in Linux, preferably CentOS.