Are you passionate about making a difference in people’s lives? Are you motivated to learn and connect people with cutting edge technology? Do you go the extra mile to provide customer delight? Then you should join the Hargray team as a Design Engineer!
The Design Engineer is responsible for the design and cost estimates pertaining to new-build and over-build of Hargray’s OSP facilities in new markets.
The Company: For over 70 years, Hargray has been connecting customers to each other and the world, growing from a local phone company to an industry leader providing residential, business, enterprise, and carrier wholesale communications services. Our mission is to envision and deliver customer delight. In addition to our long history of dedication and commitment to our community, we offer benefits for your health, wealth, protection, well-being, time, and more. Our team of over 700 colleagues supporting local markets throughout the southeast is committed to excellence, delivering the most advanced technology and the best service for our customers.
Duties and Responsibilities: Including but not limited to the following.
- Develops overall OSP system design for new developments and over-builds for fiber facilities.
- Prepares conduit drawings for power companies and developers.
- Prepares and provides splicing diagrams to construction engineers for fiber platforms.
- Evaluates new OSP products and designs for possible implementation.
- Assists in preparation of the annual engineering budget.
- Initiates OSP work orders for construction.
- Uses CAD design software to produce fiber designs and bill of materials.
- Forecasts service demands to develop short, medium and long range plans.
- Works with network engineers to incorporate network elements.
- Prepares and maintains detailed assignment documents on fiber projects and communicates these with facilities engineering.
- Prepares detailed drawings, cost estimates and material requirements for planned installation of OSP facilities.
- Works with facilities to prepare methods and procedures for cutover on new or rearranged plant facilities.
- Provides current new development land base and notifies mapping technicians when all changes are complete.
- Provides as-built drawings to mapping technicians.
- Works with mapping technicians to provide/create/update special maps for OSP, sales, and management.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure effective operation of department.
Minimum Qualifications: Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior experience as OSP Design Engineer or 5+ years OSP experience in cable construction and maintenance.
- Must demonstrate understanding of communications distribution networks on fiber, copper, and HFC platforms.
- Solid knowledge in OSP construction methods and practices as set by RUS, Telecordia, and BICSI.
- Experience in Microstation CADD software desired, Bentley Coms specific is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Visio, Excel, and Word.
- Working knowledge of 3GIS preferred, but not required.