General Description of Position:
Responsible for the design and cost estimates pertaining to new-build and over-build of Hargray’s OSP facilities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops overall OSP system design for new developments and over-builds for copper, HFC and fiber facilities.
- Prepares conduit drawings for power companies and developers.
- Prepares and provides splicing diagrams to construction engineers for copper, HFC and fiber platforms.
- Develops HFC system design parameters.
- Determines fiber loss budgets, quantities, and routes for Metro-Ethernet, DSLAM(s), camera sites, T-1, HFC nodes, transport and customer pt-to-pt systems.
- Evaluates new OSP products and designs for possible implementation.
- Assists in preparation of the annual engineering budget.
- Initiates OSP work orders for construction.
- Uses CAD/AM/FM design software to produce copper, HFC and fiber designs and bill of materials.
- Forecasts service demands to develop short, medium and long-range plans.
- Works with network engineers to incorporate network elements.
- Prepares and maintains detailed assignment documents on fiber projects and communicates these with facilities engineering.
- Prepares detailed drawings, cost estimates and material requirements for planned installation of OSP facilities.
- Works with facilities to prepare methods and procedures for cutover on new or rearranged plant facilities.
- Provides current new development land base and notifies mapping technicians when all changes are complete.
- Provides as-built HFC drawings to mapping technicians.
- Work with mapping technicians to provide/create/update special maps for OSP, sales, and management.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure the effective operation of the department.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior experience as OSP Design Engineer or 5+ years OSP experience in cable construction and maintenance.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of communications distribution networks on fiber, copper, and HFC platforms.
- Solid knowledge in OSP construction methods and practices as set by RUS, Telecordia, and BICSI.
- Knowledgeable in basic electrical theory.
- Experience in Microstation CADD software desired.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Visio, Excel, and Word.