WMATA is one of America's Premier Transit Authorities and serves our Nation's capital impacting the lives of millions of commuters and visitors each day. WMATA has an exciting opportunity for an experienced transit leader looking to play a role in helping shape the future of Metro: Director of Civil & Structural Engineering.
The Engineering and Architecture team supports the many different technical requirements needed to keep the system running and to implement needed upgrades to the system. The selected candidate will lead the Mechanical Engineering team, in a wide range of engineering challenges and problems that need to be solved. The work touches or impacts just about every function across the organization. The incumbent will develop Statements of Work outlining requirements for studies, projects, and other related work ensuring that work proceeds as required to accomplish the subject task in a timely manner.
The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and organizational skills to ensure that internal and external customers' needs are clearly understood and addressed. The ability to work well with a diverse group of individuals and move initiatives efficiently, with the highest level of standards, when needed will be one of the keys to success. In addition, having the ability to develop short and long-term solutions to various project support needs will be necessary.
- Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering Discipline
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible and diversified engineering management, analysis, and contract oversight experience for a multi-disciplined engineering program, to include interfacing with Federal oversight authorities, elected officials and other high-level officials and directing subordinates and consultants.
- Experience must include at least five (5) years of supervisory management experience within a related engineering discipline
- Professional Engineer's (PE) license from Virginia, Maryland or the District of Columbia or ability to obtain PE license within one year.
- If PE is registered in a jurisdiction not listed above, then must be able to obtain PE from Virginia, Maryland, or the District of Columbia within one year.
- Engineering related advanced degree
- Program management experience encompassing civil, mechanical, electrical, electronic, environmental and industrial engineering for a large transit organization
- Prior experience in transportation or transit Civil & Structural engineering
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
Mission Essential Designation:
In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The Director Civil and Structural Engineering plans, directs, oversees and coordinates effective, well-integrated and comprehensive engineering pertaining to civil, track, structures, facilities and related systems and equipment. Facilities may include public areas, stations and all associated fixed apparatus including escalators, elevators, and related systems. The incumbent is the prime civil, track, structures and facilities engineering resource, serving as an in-house consultant and develops, directs, and ensures compliance of track and structures maintenance and testing activities. The incumbent develops, revises and implements engineering policies, procedures, and standards. The incumbent ensures that policies, procedures and standards comply with various legal, safety and other requirements. The incumbent directs, oversees and monitors engineering activities of consultants to ensure fulfillment of contract specifications, timetables, budget, and other conditions. Incumbent interfaces with various executive and senior-level staff of various regulatory agencies and other organizations.
The Director Civil and Structural Engineering is responsible for signing and applying his/her seal to engineering documents (reports, drawings, and calculations) for WMATA studies, estimates, designs, or analysis.
- Directs the Engineering staff in civil, structural and environmental engineering tasks to ensure effective and efficient operation and maintenance of track, structures, and related systems and equipment.
- Develops, revises, and implements engineering policies, procedures, and standards. Ensures policies, procedures, and standards comply with legal, safety, and other requirements. Serves as an in-house engineering consultant.
- Develops, reviews, and approves technical engineering designs, specifications and change orders for track, structures, facilities and related systems and equipment to ensure consistency and compliance with WMATA's standards and external regulatory and stakeholder requirements.
- Directs employees and contractors in inspections and project evaluation activities to include monitoring work schedules, budget, expenditures, and resource allocation to evaluate project conformance to overall goals and to ensure achievement of technical engineering requirements.
- Plans and directs the effective planning, development and utilization of engineering, design, and surveying resources for the support of planning preliminary and final design, construction and equipment procurement for major segments of the Authority's expansion and modernization programs, ensuring sufficient and timely technical expertise is brought to bear.
- Ensures that project execution recognizes that the stations in the Nation's Capital must reflect the tradition and history of the area while also ensuring that the Authority's stakeholder approved requirements are upheld while observing safety compliance in a revenue service environment where projects take place.
- Ensures sufficient intra departmental dialogue and coordination and provides effective engineering solutions, in collaboration and coordination with the operating departments, for technical problems arising in those departments, as programmed in the annual Operating and Capital Budget(s).
- Maintains 'in-house' capability for design and analysis for modifications, emergency repairs and assessment of existing facilities. Coordinates 'in-house' designs and analyses with clients. Oversees design compliance with related safety and environmental laws and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulations.
- Directs and supervises subordinate staff to include recommending applicant selection, disciplinary actions, resolutions of grievances, assigning duties, directing work, approving leave requests and time sheets, and ensuring appropriate staff training is provided.
- Assists as needed in the preparation and subsequent monitoring of the budget and other administrative functions for the Office of Engineering and Architecture. Prepares and directs the preparation of clear, technically sound, accurate and informative statistical, financial, progress and other reports. Also, prepares executive correspondence.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.