Altair ProductDesign is a global, multi-disciplinary product development consultancy of more than 700 designers, engineers, scientists, and creative thinkers. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Altair Engineering, Inc. (www.altair.com), this cross-functional organization is best known for its leadership in combining human and machine creativity to fuel innovation, automate processes, and develop new methods. Altair ProductDesign firmly advocates a user-centered, team-based design approach, and utilizes proprietary simulation and optimization technologies to help clients bring innovative, profitable products to market faster.
Director of Electrical Engineering
The Director of Electrical Engineering is a role vital to clients growth and future product development. This person will provide technical and organizational leadership for clients Electrical Engineering department. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading all of clients electrical engineering efforts, including new product design, continuous product improvement initiatives, and fleet specific design engineering.
This is a hands-on position and the successful candidate must be capable of providing the engineering team with technical guidance for new product designs, optimization and problem solving. The position will work jointly with the sales team to deliver products on schedule that meet or exceed customer expectations.
The Director of Electrical Engineering contributes to the technology and product road mapping process while coordinating the engineering process and initiatives. He or she must be adaptable with excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and have a strong commitment to building relationships, teambuilding, coaching, developing talent, change management and driving concepts to production.
This is an opportunity to work for a growing, successful, world-class organization leading the technological advancement effort including zero-emission technology.
- Continuously evolve a high performing team aligned with the strategic objectives of the business
- Responsible to mentor and recruit to fill capacity and build capability gaps.
- Coach team members to ensure they know how to complete their tasks efficiently and on-time and to provide more detailed guidance when needed.
- Ensure effective performance management and that team members have relevant and appropriate objectives.
- Provide career leadership and personal development for the electrical engineering team.
- Energize, excite, motivate and build a team whose impact is far greater than the sum of their parts.
- Further enhance clients battery electric vehicle knowledge base and lead the efforts on our next generation electric bus.
- Advance efforts on Collision Avoidance Systems, Connected and Autonomous Vehicle technology. Establish a comprehensive program for integration of this technology into the client product.
- Focal point of contact for all technical issues, serve as the electrical system subject matter expert.
- Perform complex troubleshooting on all bus electrical systems. This may be hands-on in production or remotely troubleshooting buses in service.
- Review engineering calculations, drawings, software, proposals, reports for accuracy and completeness
- Ensure best technical practice is applied for all work
- Ensure designs meet all applicable federal and state legislative requirements
- Manage the product development cycle on new products from concept to launch, including specifications, design, validation, testing.
- Conduct design reviews
- Provide status updates on the team’s tasks and ensure on time completion. Evaluate missed targets and identify and address root causes such as training requirements, process and methodology improvements.
- Contribute to current and future business strategies/program requirements and support the budget process
- Lead Standard Process and Design Standards creation and documentation for EE group.
- Create an atmosphere of innovation and design excellence while assuring maximum product safety, manufacturability and cost effectiveness.
- Maintain an awareness of the state of the art in bus and heavy automotive design.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent plus a minimum of 10 years of progressive engineering experience preferably in the automotive, transportation equipment or aerospace segment.
- Experience with Canalyzer, Ladder Logic, Allison DOC, Cummins Insite, Microsoft Office
- Experience with APTA Bus Procurement Guidelines, FMVSS, J1939, J1455, NFPA,NEC, UL
- Experience with electronic/electrical troubleshooting, root cause analysis and resolution
- Experience with hybrid and battery electric powertrain development/integration.
- Previous supervisory experience with responsibility for direct reports
- Strong Leadership skills and the ability to influence others within an interdisciplinary environment.
- Excellent time management, project management, planning and organizational skills to drive and motivate the team to set priorities and systematically meet goals and deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills that demonstrate the ability to express technical concepts clearly and concisely.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer relations skills demonstrating sensitivity to customer needs and ability to work effectively with others to urgently address issues.
- Demonstrated flexibility when managing through competing projects and priorities.
- Self-starter with the ability to work as part of a team in a fast paced environment with minimal supervision.