Industrial | WSI
AZZ Specialty Welding (AZZ WSI LLC) is the worldwide leader in developing and delivering specialized installation and maintenance solutions through automated welding, weld cladding, and weld overlay technologies that extend the life and maximize the value of assets throughout the energy industry. Office located in Suwanee, Georgia
The Director of Engineering is responsible for establishing the overall objectives and initiatives of the engineering department for AZZ Specialty Welding, developing concepts and ideas for new products or product enhancements, and overseeing the development phases and improvement of company products and services. This position will be responsible for working with the operating units to establish proper staffing levels to support current and planned activities. The individual will also support the technology office in establishing and executing long term development activities in support of growth. This position will also oversee project engineering support to the operating units, establish priority, and resolve schedule/manpower conflicts as required.
Education, Certifications, Licenses & Registrations:
Bachelor’s degree in Controls Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with controls experience. A Master's degree is preferred.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years experience leading large engineering and technical teams in a complex multifaceted environment.
- Strong project management skills and experience with short and long range strategic planning.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple internal and external customer needs.
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Financial and accounting skills
- Exceptional communication skills (written, verbal, listening) with the ability to communicate across all levels within the organization
- Knowledge of Energy Based field services
Must have experience with:
- Automated Tooling and Machine Design
- Welding Processes and Metallurgy
- Failure Mode and Repair Methods for Nuclear, Combustion Power, Refining, and Process Industries
- ASME, International Standards, Code Based Quality Programs
- Pressure Component Design
Beneficial skills and experience:
- Computer Aided Design experience
- Structural Design experience
- Precision Engineering Methods
- Field Construction and Project Management experience
- R&D Group Management experience
- Customer interaction experience
- Provide support for strategic planning and development of AZZ Specialty Welding technology offerings in support of the Company’s product line goals and market leadership position.
- Provide direction to Engineering Department Managers to build, develop, and manage the engineering team in carrying out needed engineering initiatives and facilitate growth of these resources to meet increasing needs of the corporation.
- Provide direction and priority to Engineering Department Managers for assignment of the engineering resources in support of project execution.
- Provide direction and priority to Engineering Department Managers for assignment of engineering resources to meet product development needs as outlined in Corporate Strategic Plan.
- Oversee execution of technology development projects and technical support to meet company objectives.
- Oversee new product design from concept to field implementation.
- Partner with other members of the senior management team to ensure effective use of product development resources and funding.
- Oversee the Capital Equipment Budget and R&D budgets to deliver products within available funding with direction from the business unit VP’s, the CTO, and the Managing Director.
- Oversee the management of consultant relationships.
- Support order capture efforts in a technical sales capacity as needed.
- Provide technical support with industry relationships with AZZ Specialty Welding’s customer base in support of AZZ Specialty Welding’s positioning in their markets.
- Assist in technical training of Sales/Marketing/Project Management/Engineering resources to support business development.
- Ensure compliance with safety rules and environmental regulations and promote a safety culture environment.
- Be aware of departmental Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Other duties as assigned by the business leadership.
General office 50% and shop work environment 50%. Occasional travel to provide onsite project support, project meetings, walk-downs, training, business development, and professional activities requirements for PPE and safety on-site.
Sitting, standing, walking, lifting up to 30 lbs, and ability to work in an industrial field environment.
Up to 25% of travel required