LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the third consecutive year.
The Director of Strategy will lead the development of the strategy and the strategic planning process, drawing upon his/her strong basis in fundamental strategic methodology and strong financial acumen. He/she will support the strategy development though deep analysis of LyondellBasell's markets and opportunities, including customer dynamics. This leader will also direct facilitating strategy execution, including aligning resources across the organization as appropriate and work closely with business development partners and other functional leaders. Ultimately, he/she will embed strategic capabilities into the organization for long-term sustainability. In addition, he/she will operate flexibly and move between high-level strategy and tactical execution as required. He/she will draw upon strong financial acumen and be able to synthesize complex concepts and data into clear strategic direction. Ultimately, the strategy will lead to the achievement of LyondellBasell's performance and growth objectives.
This individual will act as a project leader managing a virtual team that may span more than one business unit as well as corporate functions. Responsible for contributing to both the overall strategy as well as handling ad hoc projects that may relate to a wide variety of topics. These topics may include products, markets, market and competitive analysis, economic trends, and other key areas.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Develop the company's strategic plan, taking into account the company and industry dynamics, broader macroeconomic trends, and customer dynamics.
- Develop strategies for identifying and evaluating target markets and companies to support growth plans. Assimilate competitive intelligence on industry suppliers, competitors and customers in order to develop the strategic plan.
- Partner with leaders across LyondellBasell to develop the plan, building collaborative relationships across the organization.
- Lead a project team of analysts to support strategy formulation, strategy execution, and strategic initiatives. As required, support corporate business development and M&A initiatives.
- Lead multiple types of analysis both in support of broad strategic plans as well as analysis on an ad hoc basis. These may include competitive analysis and value chain analysis in various industries and sectors; scenario and risk analysis including around potential organic investments, mergers, or divestitures; optimization and efficiency analysis; and asset management, capital allocation, and portfolio analysis.
- Drive the progress of strategic plans, projects, and programs against organizational goals and objectives and growth targets, measuring progress in a metrics-based manner.
- Act as a key communicator of all strategic elements to the executive management team. Develop the communication for both internal and external stakeholders. Prepare and present strategic, sector and business analyses to executive management.
- Lead the development of best practices and processes in the function and embed these in the organization. This may include leading implementation of new processes and procedures as well as training and developing the team.
Area of Expertise, Requirements
- Strategic planning and strategy development
- Experience with top strategy consultancy
- Business leadership
- Chemicals/broader process industries experience
- Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering preferred
- Minimum of ten (10) years of total experience
- Five (5+) years of Strategist experience at a top tier management consulting firm
- Project Manager experience in major consulting firm
- International experience preferred
- Experience in an operating company, preferably in chemicals, oil and gas or industrials sector preferred
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston