To provide technical support and product design for the development of AC & DC rotating equipment ensuring the company’s leadership position in the market
The employee will be responsible for:
- Development of electrical simulations that show a path of compliance toward meeting customer performance requirements.
- Presentation of engineering calculations for proof of concept.
- Review of existing products to determine if a customer solution already exists within the business.
- Providing production data and technical support for the quoting and build of rotating machines.
- Leading within a cross-functional environment to define the needs and develop solutions to meet customer requirements within the boundaries of the project.
- Test oversight to ensure that performance is met as defined by the project.
- Report writing as necessary for root cause failure analysis.
- Providing guidance in prototype testing of concept ideas.
- Entering manufacturing and design data as necessary for production build within existing ERP system.
The ideal employee will have, but not limited to, the following developed skills:
- The ability to perform basic through advanced Electrical and Electromagnetic Engineering calculations to solve complex problems involving influences from the electrical, mechanical and thermal engineering disciplines.
- Basic understanding of thermal and fluid dynamics to aid in temperature control of the product.
- Basic Mechanical Engineering understanding to assess strengths and weaknesses of existing and new products.
- Basic Rotor dynamics understanding for the determination of limits of rotating components such as shafts and bearings, including natural frequency and deflection at speed and temperature.
- Knowledge of material sciences to confirm strengths and weaknesses of parts.
- Equivalent circuit methodologies.
- Analytical motor performance calculators, preferably RMxprt.
- 3D CAD Simulation – FEA and/or FVM analysis with ANSYS, Maxwell.
- 3D CAD modelling, preferably SolidWorks.
- 2D CAD detailing, preferably SolidWorks.
- Knowledge and application of FMEA and DFMEA methods.
- Knowledge of ASME Y14.5 application of dimensions and geometric tolerancing.
- Understanding of Enterprise Data Management system processes, preferably SolidWorks EPDM.
- MRP/ERP data entry.
Reports to Design Engineering Department Head
Ensures all work is done in accordance with Customer specifications and Company Policy
Keeps supervisor aware of all progress and problems.
Job requires sitting at a desk doing normal office work, including phone communications and using a computer. Also involves standing and walking in an office and a manufacturing facility. May be required to assist in production and testing of new products or product improvements.
Environmental / Safety / Time Allocation
- Spends approximately 70% of time working at a desk in a normal office environment.
- Spends about 30% of time on work away from desk, including going out into shop and discussing manufacturing issues with Manufacturing Department personnel. Must wear eye protection and any other required personal protective equipment while on the shop floor.
Training / Cross Training / Progression
- Project leadership position within the Design Engineering group.
- Thermal and Fluid Dynamics.
- Certified SolidWorks Professional.
- Lean manufacturing, Green Belt.
Education / Experience
- BSEE with a minimum of 5 to 7 years’ experience in product design and providing technical guidance, instruction and sales support in rotating machinery disciplines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of motors, generators and switchgear operation, construction and testing.
- Demonstrated experience with Variable Frequency Drives and motor control panels.
- Ability to work independently with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Proficient knowledge and use of MS Office Suite
- Experience in a LEAN environment a plus
- Good oral and written communication skills are essential
- Must possess the ability to build peer relationships as well as work independently
- Must be action oriented, ethical in value, and have a strong customer focus
Some travel may be required, <20%
All Positions at WARD LEONARD require access to information or technology that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and other US government security regulations. These laws do not permit access rights to non-US Citizens or to other unauthorized individuals. Therefore, presently all applicants must be US Citizens in order to comply with ITAR requirements for access rights to be considered for a position.