Column Engineering is assisting a premier client in a search for a Sr. Mechanical Supplier Quality Engineer. This is a direct hire opportunity.
Senior Mechanical Supplier Quality Engineer
Reporting to the Supplier Quality Manager, the Supplier Quality Engineer provides Supplier Quality & Mechanical Engineering services to Manufacturing, Purchasing, and Engineering. Ensures new products and parts meet quality standards by validating and evaluating suppliers’ overall performance. Identifies suppliers for new products or parts as needed. Acts as a liaison between manufacturing plants, Purchasing, and product development teams. Mentors less experienced engineers in the Supplier Quality functions.
- Ensures that suppliers deliver quality parts, materials, and services by developing measurement and test plans, creating or modifying inspection instructions, coordinating the disposition of non-conforming material, and obtaining documented effective supplier corrective/preventative actions for non-conforming material.
- Evaluates suppliers’ internal functions to assess their overall performance and provides feedback, resolving any performance or supply issues.
- Qualifies new suppliers utilizing supplier surveys, performing reference checks, and collecting appropriate performance data.
- Represents Supplier Quality by actively participating on one or more product development teams, obtaining and processing initial new part qualifications, and participating in the selection of material suppliers.
- Leads suppliers in improving corrective actions and part quality through the development and use of quality tools such as SCARS using the 8D process, Control Plans, Cause and Effect diagrams, FMEA, SPC, DOE, and GR&R.
- Acts as technical liaison between the manufacturing plants, Purchasing and/or product development teams, and suppliers dealing with non-conforming product, which includes the resolution of Nonconforming Material Reports (NMR’s) and Supplier Corrective Action Requests (SCAR’s) as appropriate.
- Ensures that the Supplier Quality functions are properly documented to assure uniformity among all divisions and plants, escalating insufficient or inadequate documentation to the Manager, Supplier Quality.
- Assists in the publication of Supplier information (e.g. preferred supplier list, performance information, and forms) to other departments and divisions.
- Provides training, guidance, and support to engineers in the Supplier Quality functions, as well as Engineering and Manufacturing.