LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the fourth consecutive year.
LyondellBasell's Houston Refinery, one of the largest refineries designed to process heavy, high-sulfur crude oil is in search of a Fixed Equipment Reliability Engineer. Our 268,000-barrel-per-day refinery is strategically located on the U.S. Gulf Coast with access to interstate pipelines and the Port of Houston. The facility covers approximately 700 acres at the city limits of Houston and Pasadena, Texas.
The Houston Refinery was one of the first petroleum refineries constructed on the Houston Ship Channel and traces its origin to 1918. This is a high visibility position and will provide ample opportunities for growth. You will work with a team of dedicated, highly-trained professionals.
The Fixed Equipment Reliability Engineer position interacts with other technical groups on site (process engineering, maintenance, and capital project groups), corporate technical networks and peers, and vendors/suppliers as needed to resolve problems and improve plant reliability and performance.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Develops and/or approves stationary equipment repair plans, rerates, & modifications related to expense and capital projects in their area.
- Performs fitness for service evaluations per API, ASME or applicable industry guidelines/standards, including level 1 & 2 evaluations per API-579.
- Subject matter expert for other assessment tools within the MI program, including RAT (bundle retube analysis tool), RvIFT (relief valve interval tool).
- Leads EDRM (Equipment Deficiency Risk Assessment) teams, which includes development of an initial assessment memo, a remediation plan, tracking of action items, and EDRM closure.
- Performs bolted joint calculations and select gaskets for planning.
- Participates in corporate technical teams.
- Provides technical support to both operations and maintenance.
- Works closely with Unit Inspector(s) to troubleshoot stationary equipment issues and review Inspection & Testing Plans for piping / equipment repairs or new installations.
- Reviews requests for installation of Leak Repair Devices, such as bolted engineered enclosures, composite wraps, valves body injections, etc.
- Leads the development of technical assessment packages for hot taps, stopples, line freezes, welding on live equipment, etc.
- Develops and maintains specific procedures, programs, and methods to ensure unit needs are met and maintained.
- Reviews the design of furnaces, boilers, heaters, flares, burners, refractory, insulation, high temperature materials, tanks, exchangers, vessels and piping.
- Support Turnarounds through engineering package reviews, execution and scope development during discovery.
- Leads or participates in incident investigations and root cause failure analysis.
- Mentors less experienced engineers and co-ops.
- This position requires: B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 6 years of work experience in the refining/petrochemical industry.
- Proven proficiency in stationary equipment fabrication standards (ASME), inspection codes (API, NBIC), and recommended practices.
- The following certifications are desirable: API 510, API 570
- Strong interpersonal leadership skills are critical due to the requirement for effective communication of complex issues across the organization as well as for mentoring and consensus building.
- Must obtain and maintain a Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC)
- 7-10 years of work experience in the refining/petrochemical industry
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.