LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 55 sites in 17 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including; packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
Health & Safety Engineer (Matagorda Plant, Bay City, TX)
We are seeking a Health and Safety Engineer to fill the position of occupational health and safety subject matter expert at our Matagorda Polymers Complex. In this role, you will proactively take ownership, and influence decisions for the development and continued improvement of the site's safety programs and processes. Also, the successful candidate will have oversight for the Occupational Health and Medical programs which cover three sites located in South Texas; Alvin, Matagorda and Victoria.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Develops, implements and improves health & safety policies, procedures and their supporting programs including associated training
- Develops and performs safety assessments and training to ensure regulatory compliance
- Researches and interprets new and current regulatory requirements and makes recommendations on policies and procedures as required
- Provides health & safety consultation to capital and expense plant small project efforts from project conception through execution phases
- Serves as a consultant and coach for technicians in operations, laboratory and maintenance functions during routine and non-routine activities including outages and turnarounds
- Serves as the occupational health and safety subject matter expert for plant management, internal customers and fellow HSE team members
- Participates in company-wide Best Practice Teams related to occupational health and safety
- Provides OSHA regulatory interpretations to the line organization
- Assists the organization as well as contractors in the development of safe methods for performing non-routine work
- Leads, participates in and supports incident investigations as necessary
- Evaluates effectiveness of assigned health and safety programs, recommends improvements, and works with management to implement recommendations
- Mentors less experienced personnel within the Health and Safety groups
- Supports emergency response activities, i.e. Onsite air monitoring
- Develop and oversee Industrial Hygiene monitoring strategies and recommend effective solutions
- A minimum of a B.S. in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Fire & Safety or a related technical discipline.
- A minimum of 4 years petrochemical plant experience in one or more Occupational Safety & Health roles
- Demonstrated time management skills and ability to support changing priorities
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing with internal and external clients
- knowledge of OSHA 1910 and 1926 regulations
- Ability to work in and around petrochemical facilities
- Skilled at preparing and delivering presentations and training to diverse audiences
- The person in this position will be expected to work independently with a level of oversight / supervision commensurate with experience level
- The person in this position will be expected to continually develop professionally and willingness to seek CIH and/or CSP
Builds effective teams:
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity:
Matagorda Plant Information
LyondellBasell's Matagorda Complex began operations in 1983 and is located off Texas Highway 60 approximately 13 miles south of Bay City and 15 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. The site represents approximately one third of LyondellBasell's global high density polyethylene capacity. Recent site expansions include a 220 million pounds-per-year polyethylene increase. In 2018, the site had received two significant safety awards; VPP Star Among Stars and AFPM Gold Elite. In 2019 LyondellBasell was named to FORTUNE magazine's list of 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the second year in a row.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston