The Operation Research (OR) group within UPS creates software and algorithms that model and refine business processes within the company. The cross-functional team of developers and research analysts strives to identify new technologies and approaches to improve the efficiency, reliability, and profitability of the UPS transportation network. The group achieves its goals through technical expertise paired with strong collaboration and creative problem solving skills.
The OR group welcomes versatile software developers with initiative and interest in tackling business problems to apply and join the team. This is a great opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects that directly impact the future competitiveness of UPS!
The Intermediate Operations Research (OR) Analytics Developer (Intermediate Applications Developer) will be working as a member of the OR team to build both tools and processes to support our goals of implementing optimized solutions to impact UPS business goals. Developers within Operations Research participate in the full SDLC, requiring the abilities to: analyze, design, code, test, and prototype proof-of-concept programs ranging in all levels of complexity. Our developers have the opportunity to work in .NET Windows Forms, Java/C++, or Perl/Python in both Windows and Linux environments. Developers will confer with other business groups to gather requirements, understand required data sources, and other items needed for a successful outcome.
This position is available to candidates in Maryland and Kentucky.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Works as a member of the OR team to build both tools and processes to support goals of implementing optimized solutions to impact goals
- Participates in full SDLC, requiring the abilities to: analyze, design, code, test, and prototype proof-of-concept programs ranging in all levels of complexity
- Works in .NET Windows Forms, Java/C++, or Perl/Python in both Windows and Linux environments
- Confers with other business groups to gather requirements, understand required data sources, and other items needed for successful outcomes
Knowledge and Skills
- 2+ years' programming experience
- Experience with OO Analysis and Design
- Experience with one of the following languages: Java, C++, C#
- Good communication skills
- Interest in learning new things
- Bachelor's Degree (or internationally comparable degree) in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field - Preferred
- Experience in Python - Preferred
- Experience with both Linux and Windows development - Preferred
- Interest algorithms and data analytics - Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law