LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the third consecutive year.
LyondellBasell is currently seeking a qualified, dedicated Lab Technician for our plant located at 4404 Euclid Avenue, East Chicago, IN 46312.
This position will work 2nd shift with a schedule that runs 3:00pm-11:30pm; Monday through Friday. Some overtime or weekend work may be necessary.
This position is an immediate, direct hire with competitive pay. Offering a full benefits package that starts your first day on the job, benefits include: medical, dental, vision, prescription drug coverage, health savings, life insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
The position of Lab Technician includes multiple tasks that ultimately provide good manufacturing practices and on time delivery to the customer. The individual must be able to conduct a variety of laboratory tests to assist production in making qualitative and quantitative analyses of incoming resins and finished products.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Conduct chemical and physical laboratory testing and analysis as directed to assist production in making qualitative and quantitative analyses and report the results to the requestor as needed
- Understand and apply technical information, diagrams, and procedures related to test methods and standards (ASTM/ISO), instrumentation and quality control pertinent to physical and analytical lab operations.
- Assist with test method development and work instructions as needed
- Monitor product quality to ensure compliance to standards and specifications.
- Compile and interpret results of tests and analyses.
- Observe and record data in an accurate, precise and organized manner as required
- Assist in laboratory equipment calibration, verification and maintenance as needed
- Assist in certification initiatives
- Continue training of all test methods that are related to the physical testing performed in the laboratory
Roles & Responsibilities (Continued)
- Operate pertinent laboratory equipment for test specimen creation
- Maintain and clean laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Conform to safe work practices and compliant to corporate safety program
- Provide and maintain a safe work environment by participating in safety programs, committees, or teams, and by conducting laboratory and plant safety audits.
- Handle hazardous materials in a safe and cautious manner
- If necessary, may perform duties not directly related to position and assist fellow workers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- 1+ year experience working in a similar capacity at a manufacturing or laboratory testing facility
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work overtime or weekends on short notice as needed
- Ability to apply basic mathematics skills
- Ability to analyze data and make decisions accordingly
- Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialized information
- Properly interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
- Ability to work proactively and support other personnel and departments.
- Ability to multitask and utilize the time available to organize and complete work within given deadlines
- Maintain good attendance habits missing minimal work
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language
- Must possess a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Stand on feet for 8-12 hours
- Ability to lift 55 lbs. or more
- Ability to work with fiberglass among other potentially hazardous materials
- Willing and able to comply with respiratory fit testing (where applicable)
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required to be worn
- Ability to work in moderate noise level atmosphere
- Ability to work in an environment that is not temperature-controlled; very warm temperatures in summer months
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Gary
Nearest Secondary Market: Chicago