LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the fourth consecutive year.
The position of Lab Technician is responsible for troubleshooting lab issues, ensure the calibration, certification, maintenance and reliability of laboratory instrumentation. The incumbent supports production and HSE goals through the routine analytical testing of start to finish manufactured samples such as raw materials, in process, or finished product. The incumbent prepares data and reports and maintains communication with others inside and outside their department. The incumbent also assists Engineering and Production in the investigation of non-conformities. This positions receives direction from a supervisor and may receive support from a process specialist, maintenance, and technical personnel
Roles & Responsibilities
- Comply with all safety requirements resulting in zero safety violations. This includes participating in all safety related activities such as safety talks, behavioral based safety observations, audits, etc.
- Prepare, test, and evaluate samples to ensure compliance with internal and customer specifications
- Monitor product quality to ensure compliance with internal and customer specifications
- Understand and apply technical information, diagrams, and procedures related to test methods and standards, instrumentation, and quality control pertinent to physical and analytical lab operations
- Compile and interpret results of test and analyses
- Observe and record data in an accurate, precise and organized manner
- Assist operating units in resolving issues through understanding of chemistry and analytical methods
- Ensure calibration, certification, and maintenance of lab instrumentation
- Follow production processes regarding purging and cleaning to reduce off specification material/scrap
- Maintain a clean work environment and all tools and equipment are in the proper location and storage units
- Minimum 1 year previous experience in industrial manufacturing lab or quality control position
- Availability to work overtime or weekends on short notice as needed
- Must possess a High School Diploma or G.E.D. at time of application
- Associate's Degree or certification in Laboratory Science, Instrumentation, or Chemistry preferred
- Must be able to read and interpret documents, write routine correspondence, and speak the English language to effectively communicate with supervisors and other team members
- Strong mathematics and analytical skills to determine acceptability of product based on specifications
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and SAP
- Extensive knowledge of common instrumentation including: micrometers, calipers, gauges, etc.
- Properly follow written and verbal operating and LOTO procedures
- Accurately maintain and report data and analyses
- Ability to work proactively and support other personnel and departments.
- Ability to multitask and work both independently as well as contribute to teamwork
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Stand on feet up to 12 hours
- Ability to perform without reasonable accommodation: walking, climbing, bending, kneeling, twisting, and lifting a minimum 55 lbs. or more
- Willing and able to comply with respiratory fit testing
- Must be able to work in varied indoor and outdoor conditions which may include: heat, cold, dust, strong odors, and loud noises with the use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including long pants, long sleeves, steel-toed boots, gloves, hard hat, safety goggles, earplugs, and a respirator are required to be worn
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Chicago