LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the third consecutive year.
Working in a team environment, the Instrumentation and electrical design lead is responsible for implementing best practices, developing and optimizing processes and procedures to align and comply with LyondellBasell (LYB) global standards; as well as supporting project design and support activities. The position interacts with other engineers, designers, specialists, and technicians at the site, corporate technical networks, peers at other locations, and vendors/suppliers as needed to resolve problems and improve project deliverables and success.
Roles & Responsibilities
* Provides leadership for 5-8 I&E Designers and CAD Operators in support of shutdown/turnaround projects, routine maintenance and capital installations
* Leads Drafting and Design resource planning and development for the I&E design team.
* Maintains accountability for the team's overall performance.
* Forecasts project completion dates for sharing with project controls, project managers, and other customers.
* Provides quality assurance checking for all instrument & electrical design packages. Ensures completed design packages meet I&E specifications and design codes/standards.
* Ensures adherence to Process Safety Information requirements, procedures and standards.
* Leads the coaching / mentoring / training requirements for assigned Drafting and Design company and contract resources including sharing of technology enhancements with other Designs Groups.
* Provides technical guidance to internal designers, Designs Engineering customers and external suppliers.
* Provides quality solutions for complex I&E designs and guidance on LYB Engineering Standards and I&E specifications.
* Identifies, plans, and executes training required for continuous improvement in team capability and product quality.
* Manages SmartPlant Instrumentation (SPI) across the complex. Serves as Drafting's Subject Matter Expert (SME) for SPI.
* Provides resources to support transfer of instrument data from AutoCAD to SPI.
* Identifies opportunities to expand use of SPI, develops and executes training plans and recommends enhancement to SPI configuration.
* Prepares and maintains quality procedures for internal and external design teams.
* Provides management with progress reports on a monthly basis on all projects.
* Participates in determining the desired scope of work for each project.
* Provides support to electrical and instrument technicians on as need basis.
* Supports the development of plant engineering processes and procedures to align with corporate standards.
* Minimum 15 years of experience in Instrument & Electrical design or Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 8 years' experience developing I&E project scopes, reviewing completed designs and executing field projects will be considered.
* Minimum 4 years checking of completed designs for a team of 6 or more designers.
* Minimum of 5 years design experience in the chemical or refining industry.
* Demonstrated experience collecting as-built information in operating facilities.
* Demonstrated experience leading complex multi discipline design projects.
* Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining Process Safety Management (PSM) regulated drawings.
* Strong interpersonal leadership skills are critical due to the requirement for effective communication of complex issues across the organization as well as for mentoring and consensus building.
* The successful candidate must exhibit an understanding of business drivers, management of change requirements, reliability processes, and project workflow.
* Experience executing plant projects. Superior interpersonal, communication, and written skills are necessary to advance to this level.
Must be proficient in the following areas:
* Demonstrated basic knowledge of AutoCAD and SmartPlant Instrumentation (SPI).
* Demonstrated basic understanding of estimating tools and cost control.
* Interpretation and application of industry codes and standards
* Process instrumentation and control valves
* Motors, motor controls, and drives
* Analyzers and sample systems
* PLC maintenance, troubleshooting, and programming
* Distributed control systems
* Reliability Engineering concepts
* Reliability data analysis techniques
* SmartPlant Instrumentation (SPI) or INtools
* Predictive and Preventive Maintenance concepts
* Basic knowledge of Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) design and logic
* Ability to apply computer software tools (SAP, Microsoft Office, Meridium, CAD
* The successful candidate must have strong commitment to safety, a high level of personal integrity, and dedication to conducting business in an ethical way.
* Low voltage and high voltage applications
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Lake Charles