Linux Support Specialist II
Provides ongoing technical support and maintenance of Red Hat Linux and responsible for Level 2 intermediate level troubleshooting.
- Implements medium to high risk changes on production systems.
- Participates in the planning and designing of new platforms and integrating new technologies into existing infrastructure.
- Resolves Level 2 incidents affecting the operation/availability of production systems, through troubleshooting and implementing known fixes.
- Deploys standard repeatable build outs of medium complexity.
- Installs, configures, patches and maintains appropriate technologies (e.g. servers/databases/network/ storage/software solutions).
- Supports intermediate backup strategies and disaster recovery tests. Serves a resource to level 1 technicians on routine backup strategies and disaster recovery tests.
- Analyzes system performance indicators and recommends improvement actions.
- Assists with monitoring vendors' release notes and implements necessary upgrades and patches as required.
- Assists with creating and reviewing technical system recovery plans.
- Reviews the problem management register and identifies and implements actions.
- Installs and maintains third-party tools.
- Makes proactive suggestions for service improvements.
- Coaches less experienced staff in the supported products and best practice for production support.
- 2-5 years of IT experience
- Experience supporting and maintaining Red Hat Linux.
- Active Top Secret security clearance (or current Tier 5 investigation)
- Security+ (or other IAT level II certification) is required
- Must have one of the following computing environment certifications:
- MTA: Windows Operating System Fundamentals
- MCSA: Windows Server 2008 (or newer)
- MCSE: Windows Server 2008 (or newer)
- MCITP Server Admin 2008
- MCM: Windows Server 2008 (or newer)
- Oracle Certified Associate (OCA): Solaris 11 System Admin
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect
Other Job Specific Skills
- Strong knowledge of Red Hat Linux and Microsoft OS.
- Applies standard methodology, techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot and resolve intermediate level system hardware, software or networking related problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and to translate technical terminology into terms understandable to non-technical employees.
- Exceptional customer service skills