MDT Administrator & Client Support
We are seeking experienced candidates to lead our transition back to using MDT, (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit), images for Windows 10. A candidate would be expect to know how to package/build MDT images from scratch, ('bare metal'), add/remove drivers/software to those images, update and troubleshoot them. These images would be for our Engineering and Design departments within the company, so experience with Bentley, Autodesk, Intergraph, and similar type applications would a solid plus, but not required. Understanding of and experience with Active Directory and Group Policy Objects is a requirement for this position. (Requirement here is an understanding of and an ability to research/look up should be similar to what a 'Tier 2/3 tech' would have for these, not as an administrator of Active Directory or manager of GPOs.)
An in depth understanding of software dependencies, software requirements, virtual machines, (for building of images), ability to troubleshoot software issues, and attention to detail are all critical skills for this position. If a candidate is familiar with Systernals, that is going to be a solid plus, but again not required.
General experience with application and infrastructure management, software troubleshooting, standup, and support in a corporate environment would be solid plus, but again is not required.
A successful candidate must be comfortable asking questions or for help quickly, (fail fast mentality), as both accuracy, (are things 100% right on the images), and speed, (turnaround time of image builds and required changes), are critical for success in this role.
This position would be expected to tie out with other corporate departments within our organization, (corporate IT, security, SCCM, etc…), to ensure the images they'll be responsible for land properly in our environment and are fully functional for both the users and our corporate partners for the long term, so experience building and maintaining those types of relationships in a corporate environment will help a candidate be successful in this role.
Expected path for this position:
We're currently maintaining 60+ Engineering and Design images for various positions within the enterprise using scripted installs. These images are used to support 1000s of users in multiple location across North America. We're filling this position to initially pick up and convert the 5 most critical images to MDT images, to work with the front line support teams and ensure rollout to users through those support teams gets smoothed out and is working as expected, (and needed), and to develop the proper methods and processes in conjunction with those teams to make this transition as smooth as possible.
Once the initial images and the processes are sorted out and working as expected, the other images we maintain, (and any new ones), would very likely be transitioned to MDT images as they get changed or updated. The decision to transition each would be a business decision based upon costs and speed of turnaround time of a completed image.
Long term this position would be expected to keep the images up to date with patches and/or fixes and keep things running smoothly for all aspects of image work.
What a typical day looks like for this role:
- Short term would be a lot of getting up to speed with a focus on converting/building the initial 5 images using MDT with the proper software installed and working, get them tested with the appropriate SMEs, packaged up and rolled out to the support teams for use. We can certainly get you with all the parties involved and go over how 'we used to do this,' using MDT, but the candidate would be expected to own and set their own methods and processes here.
- Our software is documented and the team members whom used to do MDT images for us are still with us, (just in different roles), so you'll have resources to work with and get up to speed with quickly who have already been in this role in the past.
- There will be some things to 'figure out' with other teams, (corporate IT, Security, SCCM), to ensure the images land properly. These may be technical or processes items, but in reality there is going to be a good amount of relationship building and understanding who to talk to for what. We can certainly get all that lined up, (again we used to use MDT images, so this is not new ground), so it should be fairly straight forward to sort out what's best to get the results we all need.
- Medium term you'll work with the teams who bring in new software, (you'll be on the same team as them, so that'll be fairly straight forward), and they'll be able to answer dependency questions or other questions you may have on what expectations are or how things will need to work.
- You would be expected to tell us what you need as it's been a few years since we last used MDT in house and we're certain things have changed since then. Expectations are if you need anything to bring it up to management and we'll get it sorted out so you can be effective.
- Long term you would be expected to transition our other images over to MDT, (along with any new ones which come up), when that transition makes business sense, (basically time to market and cost comparison of MDT vs. scripted installs.) The primary drivers for images and changes are business growth, (in multiple areas), software/hardware upgrades, new software, and various miscellaneous drivers. When a change or new image is requested, it'll be assessed if it makes sense at that time to leave as SCCM/scripted install or to convert to MDT with the major factor again being turnaround time, (i.e. how fast can the change be completed and out to the support teams for use), and costs.
- You would be expected to maintain the images for security patches and other needs to ensure build times do not grow and impact other teams. As more images convert to MDT this will become more of your focus and would replace the time spent 'figuring out' the processes and procedures. As we have a good number of images, if growth requires it we will expand this team.
- Requirements written in detail above, with primary requirement is the ability to create/build MDT images from bare metal.
- Minimum 5 years' experience of using IT/Applications systems for configuration, customization and application support.
- Experience including advanced knowledge of PC hardware/software principals and operating systems such as Windows 10.
- Familiarity with application virtualization, Active Directory, and GPOs
- Experienced in software administration and user-support function.
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present facts and opinions in a logical and concise manner.
- Ability to communicate with a wide variety of individuals.
- This position may require periodic work during off hours/days outside the normal working hours/days at Kiewit. Flexibility and willingness to work as and when required in addition to the normal working hours is essential.
- We do not expect regular travel to be a part of this position, but may be needed for relationship building with corporate teams, (Omaha), troubleshooting or unique requirements, (offices outside Lenexa.) Candidates should be willing to travel for a few days a year realistically, but would not need to expect 'regular travel' as part of this position.
Notes from the Hiring Manager:
My guess is you'll see a lot of candidates who have 'deployed or used' MDT images in their jobs, (typically tier 1 or tier 2 techs who are issuing laptops or desktops for users in their respective companies), that is NOT what we're looking for here. We need the person who is building, maintaining, and updating those MDT images for those tier 1 or 2 techs to use in deployments. MDT is a common solution for image needs in an organization of all sizes, so my guess is you'll see a mix of candidates who may have worn many hats, (i.e. they also do server builds, network administration, etc…), especially if they're in a smaller environment. Those types of candidates are fine as long as they're aware this position is going to be focused on images as they're critical to our business. I would expect it to be rare for a candidate to 'only do MDT images' unless they have a lot of images to do in their organization, (as we do), but anyone who only does MDT images would be ideal, but I suspect harder to find. We used to use MDT a couple years ago, so we have the persons and knowledge still in house, but those persons have moved to other roles, so we're opening this up to fill from the outside.
We need candidates who can 'hit the ground running' here and be building quality images in short order, so we would expect candidates to demonstrate their abilities in the interview for administering MDT images, (example would be to actually show us how they would start an image build in MDT, or to show us how they would open an image up in MDT for updating, etc… so we know their abilities before making an offer.) This would be in addition to the normal interview questions anyone would expect along with candidates talking through their methods and thought processes for building/maintaining images, so we're blocking these interviews off in two hour blocks this time instead of the normal hour.