The Manager, IT Portfolio will be accountable for the portfolio management of IT projects and investments for a specific business area throughout the planning and project or investment lifecycle. This role will report directly to the Senior Director, IT Planning and Governance and work closely with the CIO, senior business & technology leaders to ensure the successful delivery of all project or investment lifecycle phases. The role will be responsible for:
- Portfolio oversight, planning, and management of assigned investments and initiatives to achieve the organization's goals and objectives.
- Acts as the primary resource for the investment council, steering committee and senior executives for Portfolio communications, and for reporting the state and performance of initiatives within the portfolio
- Provides and escalates data on achieving an optimized mix among project investments, making the best possible use of all resources and delivering the maximum value and benefits from projects within their assigned portfolio
- Identifies, prioritizes, coordinates and acts as the resource manager for project management resources engaged with the assigned initiatives within the project portfolio
- Stakeholder Management that fosters building partnership & IT credibility
We are seeking a high energy, self-motivated, results-oriented leader, who is comfortable working in a global, team-oriented IT environment and has a proven success record to lead transformational initiatives.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Ensure adherence to the appropriate IT governance functions (Project Management Lifecycle and the Software/Systems Development Lifecycle) relating to the assigned portfolio in accordance with the organization's guidelines, policies and practices.
- For assigned Portfolio, facilitate and coordinate the efforts of senior leadership, and project managers toward the establishment of the project portfolio definition, its structure and processes. This includes:
- Supporting Business Partners in the creation of strategy and multi-year roadmaps for a specific business area
- Annual planning that identifies and prioritizes projects based on alignment to business objectives
- Recurring demand management and strategic alignment of assigned projects based on portfolio categories and criteria
- Gathering and providing data that enables portfolio evaluation, selection and prioritization
- Execution, tracking and measuring the achieved results (on budget, on time, defined success criteria etc.) for assigned portfolio
- Portfolio status reporting including financials, delivery performance, and risk / issues; Conduct assigned portfolio health reviews
- Provide relevant data needed for prioritization at the appropriate level.
- Collaborate with senior business and IT leaders to identify opportunities and facilitate RFP and selection processing including vendor proposals needed for applying technology solutions to address the challenges from increasing digitalization.
- Provide relevant data needed for prioritization at the appropriate level.
- Direct the development and maintenance of communications and reporting about the project portfolios, their contents and the performance of individual initiatives to stakeholder and governance council(s), the steering committee and senior executives.
- Collaborate with senior business and IT leaders to ensure and balance the availability of the required skills and competencies across project teams within the project portfolio, as mandated and resourced by leadership.
- Work with business and IT leadership to conduct reviews quarterly - or at other specified intervals - with senior business and IT executives, stakeholder committees, the steering committee and other relevant bodies.
- Validate and assess the assigned project portfolio, execute change and reprioritize as necessary to meet business needs.
- Inform them of any issues with the performance of individual projects within the assigned portfolio. Confirm that the use of resources and funding is on plan, and highlight any variances.
- Lead reviews of any assigned significant initiatives, projects that have run into challenges. Provide recommendations as to whether they should be continued, changed significantly, placed on hold or discontinued.
- Lead large-scale projects following PMO and SDLC Processes.
- Direct the creation and maintenance of the required portfolio documentation and artifacts.
- Support and advise senior business and IT leaders on actions required to balance the portfolio of existing assets and services.
- Provide oversight and management of project managers that manage the execution of projects
- Provide coaching and mentoring for project managers.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in technical field or related field of study required. Master's Degree preferred.
- PMI certification preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience in Information Technology, a minimum of five (5) years of project management experience. A minimum of three (3) years of experience in leadership or management.
- 3+ years of applied experience in IT financial management and portfolio management including business case development and financial modeling
- Experience in SDLC, ITIL and application or infrastructure solution development and deployment
- Experience in managing demand vs. capacity management models with variable staffing
- Experience in working with senior IT and business leaders to understand business models, strategies and priorities
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficient management and leadership skills and competencies.
- Effective business consulting skills including ability to establish rapport with key business leaders to collaborate and influence. Technical knowledge and ability to express complex technical concepts in terms that are understandable to the business.
- Understanding of how technology affects an organization and ability to link it to redesigned business processes.
- Knowledge of large-scale, global project implementations.
- Highly proficient oral and written communication capabilities as well as executive presentation abilities.
- Team building, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of SDLC and PMI PMLC methodologies.
- Ability to manage at both a broad and tactical level.
- Exceptional leadership skills, with the ability to develop and communicate the portfolio objectives, inspire and motivate staff, and maintain alignment with business strategy.
- A high degree of political sensitivity, astuteness and the ability to use the informal power structure of the organization to overcome obstacles and achieve portfolio success.
- Strong business acumen, including industry- and domain-specific knowledge of the organization and its business units. Familiarity with industry trends and innovation, and how other organizations are using them to drive digital business.
- A high level of empathy and the ability to vary styles of interaction to match the needs of a variety of business and technical audiences, as well as temperaments and personalities.
- Influencing and negotiation experience and skills in an environment with high competition for resources.
- Excellent analytical, conceptual strategic planning and execution skills. Familiarity with financial analysis and associated reporting tools.
- Ability to develop portfolios and deliver them against financial and resource constraints.
- Familiarity with the use of reporting tools to monitor portfolio activities and analyze portfolio performance.
- Understanding of current and emerging technologies and how organizations may apply them to drive digital business.
- Ability to attract, retain and develop high caliber talent
- Periodic travel is required