The Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for applying engineering principles through planning and development of tools, methods, processes, and equipment that maximize quality of the final product in the most effective, efficient, and economic way possible. The position may be assigned to either Assembly or Machining operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and ensure quality of machined components and finished assemblies by identifying, evaluating, and resolving production, process, and quality problems.
- Analyze, plan, and design layout of work area, equipment, resources, and production methods for maximum efficiency. Recommend improvements for worker efficiency and reduction of waste through restructuring job duties, reorganizing workflow, relocating work stations and equipment, and purchase of equipment.
- Prepare estimates for implementation of process improvements including labor, equipment, material costs and assembly capabilities. Reduce operating costs while maintaining quality levels.
- Lead or coordinate equipment installation or modification projects. Responsible for project budget and timing.
- Create and proof programs (as needed) for CNC (computer numerical control) machines and/or robotic and test equipment.
- Work closely with Design Engineering on product design changes and/or new product development to include evaluation of tooling, fixtures, and workstations.
- Provide technical support and instruction for manufacturing personnel on new assembly and/or machining procedures.
- Confer with vendors to determine product specifications and arranges for purchase of equipment, materials, or parts and evaluates products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Represent the Company in technical matters dealing with outside vendors and/or customers. Travel to observe new methods, trade shows or workshops, customer visits and repairs as required.
- Coordinate and facilitate continuous improvement/kaizen events and participate in cost improvement programs.
- Assist with work measurement programs and analyzing work samples for developing standards for labor utilization.
US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Green Card holder is required for ITAR compliance
- Demonstrated understanding of common manufacturing processes, equipment or machinery, including strong knowledge in mechanical, electrical and hydraulic applications.
- Demonstrated understanding of finance, capital appropriations, and budgeting practices and ability to perform manufacturing analysis and estimate cost of labor, equipment, material and assembly capabilities.
- Demonstrated proficiency with reading and understanding blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, and performing complex mathematical calculations (including trigonometry).
- Strong analytical ability to recognize need for modification of procedures or processes, identify root cause, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions where limited standardization or information exists.
- Demonstrated problem solving and critical thinking skills, including having a continuous improvement mindset and an advocate for change
- Highly productive with a strong sense of urgency and orientation to details, accuracy, and excellent outcomes.
- Results-oriented with a demonstrated ability to be self-directed and self-motivated, effectively manage time and multiple priorities, and meet deliverables in a timely manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills which fosters teamwork and collaboration and develops high quality working relationships in order to influence, gain support, and achieve results. This includes a strong cooperation with production, engineering, and maintenance personnel, as well as external customers and vendors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively deliver and transfer knowledge of technical concepts and respond to questions.
- Willingness to be flexible and adapt to changes in internal processes, delays or unexpected events in order to meet daily customer demand and on time delivery requirements, including performing any task required to meet department objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and handle proprietary and sensitive information with integrity.
- Demonstrated safety orientation and compliance mindset
- Intermediate to advanced level proficiency with CAD and MS Office software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Willingness and ability to work extended hours, including weekends as required in order to support manufacturing needs.
- Willing and able to occasionally travel domestically up to 25% to other Altra sites, vendor and/or customer visits, training events, trade shows, etc.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial, Manufacturing, or Mechanical Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline is required.
- 5+ years of engineering experience in a fast-paced manufacturing production and/or machining environment with proven success in implementing process or product improvements is required
- Education or training in CNC Machining, robotics, and/or test equipment is desired
Previous experience working with products with tolerances less than 0.0005'
- Experience with gear design (hobbing, skiving, and grinding) is desired
- Prior experience with electromechanical power transmission technology and applications is desired
- Experience using advanced quality tools and/or lean manufacturing concept is desired
Potential physical demands include, but are not limited to: frequent walking and standing, occasional twisting, stooping, carrying, handling, pushing, and pulling; climbing, kneeling and lifting up to 50 lbs. Potential sensory demands include but are not limited to: hearing and seeing.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Majority of time is spent in a manufacturing production environment with some (but not all) climate-controlled areas. Personal protective safety equipment must be worn, and proper safety precautions must be observed. Potential exposure may include, but is not limited to: solvents, dusts, lead, fiberglass, noise, heat, cold.
EEO Statement: The company in which you have expressed employment interest is a subsidiary or affiliate of Altra Industrial Motion Corp. The subsidiary or affiliate is referred to as an ''Altra Company.'' Altra Industrial Motion Corp. and all Altra Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or other characteristics protected by law. The ''EEO is the Law'' poster is available at: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you have a disability and need assistance accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request assistance by sending an email
The company in which you have expressed employment interest is a subsidiary or affiliate of Altra Industrial Motion Corp. The subsidiary or affiliate is referred to as an ''Altra Company.'' Altra Industrial Motion Corp. and all Altra Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or other characteristics protected by law. The ''EEO is the Law'' poster is available at: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. Individuals who need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process will have the opportunity to request accommodation during the application process.