Altair ProductDesign is a global, multi-disciplinary product development consultancy of more than 700 designers, engineers, scientists, and creative thinkers. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Altair Engineering, Inc. (www.altair.com), this cross-functional organization is best known for its leadership in combining human and machine creativity to fuel innovation, automate processes, and develop new methods. Altair ProductDesign firmly advocates a user-centered, team-based design approach, and utilizes proprietary simulation and optimization technologies to help clients bring innovative, profitable products to market faster.
- Cost Engineer is responsible to anticipate manufacturing processes in order to develop tooling costs and vehicle component material costs.
- MUST be able to develop estimates of tooling and/or parts.
- MUST be able to generate costs of a new part/tool from scratch.
- The Cost Engineer will interact with multiple cross-functional organizations to develop and achieve appropriate competitive costs for tooling and vehicle components.
- Will also participate in negotiations with suppliers to obtain the best possible cost-effective solutions for client.
Roles and responsibilities will include:
- Manage multiple projects
- Ability to analyze part designs to determine best methods for manufacture
- Develop accurate, world-class estimates for tooling to make vehicle parts and assemblies
- Assess material costs of component designs from inception to production
- Ability to assess cost impact of product changes to tooling and part costs
- Work closely with program teams and product designers
- Interact with product design engineers to determine manufacturability of parts
- Ability to analyze tooling plans and processes from client suppliers for accuracy and completeness
- Interact with Purchasing and participate in negotiations with suppliers to achieve the best possible tooling costs
- Visit tooling and component manufacturing facilities and suppliers to investigate issues, as required
- Suggest part design and process improvements to reduce tooling and component costs
- Will be aligned to specific parts once skill set is determined, looking within stamping, plastic mold injection, interior.
- Bachelors but will take equivalent experience
- Journeyman Tool/Mold Maker (preferred)
- Tool Costing experience (required)
- Piece Costing experience (required)