• Designs components or portions of systems and modifies existing designs to develop or improve products and facilitate manufacturing operations.
• Utilizes computer-aided design equipment and/or graphic tools such as, CAD, CAM or CATIA.
• Gathers information, makes studies, computes calculations, and prepares original rough layouts, sketches to present design proposal.
• Coordinates design criteria with engineering, manufacturing, tooling, material, and planning group such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials, and contractual specifications.
• Exclude classifications in which incumbents predominantly perform drafting assignments.
Special Requirements: Candidates submitted must have experience with 3D pipe routing from a 3D product model.
Previous NX, Team enter, Workflow and Catia experience a big plus.
• These positions will support the creation of electronic drawings for submarine mechanical systems.
• Individuals in this role will perform mechanical component, equipment, specification trade studies and prepare arrangement recommendations for the design of mechanical systems in support of the Columbia Class submarine program.
• Strong 3D Modelling Skills, 3D spatial awareness and drawing layout skills;
• Knowledge in GD&T
• Development of Digital Product Practices in accordance with ASME Y14.41-2012;
• Understanding of welding, hydraulics, and electrical interfaces as they apply to mechanical components
• Capable of interfacing with Engineering to understand design requirements of various mechanical systems and lead other designers in the development of these systems to meet the requirements
• Coordinate discussions and incorporate design aspects with manufacturing, tooling, materials and planning trades.
• Confidential clearance is highly desired. Some driving into the yard (i.e. inside the gates) to discuss construction needs may be required, but employee will typically take the NNS Shuttle Van or our department vehicle.
• Some travel may be required, but it will be infrequent (2 or 3 times/year).