To provide technical support and product design for the development of AC & DC rotating equipment ensuring the company’s leadership position in the market
- Product design and performance
Mechanical Engineering responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Structural analysis of existing and new parts for shock, stress, vibration limits and natural frequencies.
Rotor dynamics analysis of rotating components to determine critical speeds and deflection of rotating assemblies.
Computational Fluid Dynamics for the understanding of thermal loading of parts, including conductive and convective heat transfer.
Design and Drafting requirements to provide 2D detail for purchase and manufacturing of components and assemblies.
- Execute performance testing protocols and help evaluate results along with field feedback to affect product improvements as necessary to achieve optimum performance, customer satisfaction, and cost objectives.
- Be an integral team member in the development of new products and modify existing products to meet customer requirements.
- Support product quoting activities. Determine applicability of existing products, develop cost effective modifications to similar designs, and develop new products to support growth.
- Develop bills of materials and product costing using various design and product data management tools (Solid Works, EPDM) and Enterprise Resource Planning (Visual) systems.
- Assure accurate transfer of engineering data into the ERP system.
- Assist or lead teams in problem identification, correction, and verification.
- Participate in Kaizen events to improve value stream
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Customer/Vendor Work Relationships
- Customers: Provides technical assistance to support sales efforts.
- Sales: Provides technical support as needed to support the sale of Ward Leonard products.
- Engineering: Leads and/or assists in the successful completion of assigned work.
- Manufacturing: Provides technical support as needed to manufacture products, including DFMEA and PFMEA as required.
- Finance: Provides technical support as needed relative to product costing.
—Reports to Design Engineering Department Head
—Ensures all work is done in accordance with Customer specifications and Company Policy
—Keeps supervisor aware of all progress and problems.
- Job requires sitting at a desk doing normal office work, including phone communications and using a computer. Also involves standing and walking in an office and a manufacturing facility. May be required to assist in production and testing of new products or product improvements.
Environmental / Safety / Time Allocation
- Spends approximately 70% of time working at a desk in a normal office environment.
- Spends about 30% of time on work away from desk, including going out into shop and discussing manufacturing issues with Manufacturing Department personnel. Must wear eye protection and any other required personal protective equipment while on the shop floor.
Training / Cross Training / Progression
—Trains for project leadership position in Design Engineering.
Education / Experience
BSME with a minimum of 5 to 7 years of product design
- Reasonable knowledge of the various manufacturing processes used in motor production.
- Experience with 2D and 3D CAD systems (Solid Works, preferred)
- Experience with 3D CAD simulation for mechanical analysis (SolidWorks Simulation preferred)
- Good understanding of standard design and drafting practices, geometric tolerance
- Knowledge of material sciences
- Ability to work independently with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Proven analytical skills
- Proficient knowledge and use of MS Office Suite
- Experience in a LEAN environment a plus
- Good oral and written communication skills are essential
- Must possess the ability to build peer relationships as well as work independently
- Must be action oriented, ethical in value, and have a strong customer focus
Some travel may be required, <10%