OSP Design Engineer, Strategic Initiatives
Are you passionate about making a difference in people’s lives? Are you motivated to learn and connect people with cutting edge technology? Do you go the extra mile to provide customer delight? Then you should join the Hargray Fiber team as an OSP Design Engineer!
Responsible for the design and cost estimates pertaining to the over-build in new Hargray Fiber markets. Will also support the Strategic Initiative team in advancing an existing Hargray Fiber market to grow the addressable and serviceable customers.
The Company: For over 70 years, Hargray has been connecting customers to each other and the world, growing from a local phone company to an industry leader providing residential, business, enterprise, and carrier wholesale communications services. Our mission is to envision and deliver customer delight. In addition to our long history of dedication and commitment to our community, we offer benefits for your health, wealth, protection, well-being, time, and more. Our team of almost 600 colleagues across 8 locations is committed to excellence, delivering the most advanced technology and the best service for our customers.
Duties & Responsibilities: Including but not limited to the following.
- Develops overall OSP design for new commercial over-builds for fiber facilities
- Evaluates new OSP products and designs for possible implementation
- Assists in the preparation of the annual engineering budget.
- Initiates OSP work orders for construction
- Uses CAD design software to produce fiber designs and bill of materials
- Forecasts service demands to develop short, medium and long-range plans
- Works with network engineers to incorporate network elements
- Prepares and maintains detailed assignment documents on fiber projects and communicates these with facilities engineering
- Prepares detailed drawings, cost estimates and material requirements for the planned installation of OSP facilities
- Works with facilities to prepare methods and procedures for cutover on new or rearranged plant facilities
- Communicates with the GIS team to notify of new markets and land base needs
- Provides as-built fiber drawings to mapping technicians
- Work with mapping technicians to provide/create/update special maps for OSP, sales, and management
- Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure the effective operation of the department.
Minimum Qualifications: Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Prior experience as OSP Design Engineer or 5+ years OSP experience in cable construction and maintenance
- Must demonstrate an understanding of communications distribution networks on fiber
- Solid knowledge in OSP construction methods and practices as set by RUS, Telcordia, and BICSI
- Experience in MicroStation CADD software desired Bentley Coms specific is a plus
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Visio, Excel, and Word