General Description of Position:
Responsible for the design and cost estimates pertaining to the over-build in new Hargray Fiber markets. Will also support the Strategic Initiative team in advancing an existing Hargray Fiber market to grow the addressable and serviceable customers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops overall OSP design for new commercial over-builds for fiber facilities
- Evaluates new OSP products and designs for possible implementation
- Assists in the preparation of the annual engineering budget.
- Initiates OSP work orders for construction
- Uses CAD design software to produce fiber designs and bill of materials
- Forecasts service demands to develop short, medium and long-range plans
- Works with network engineers to incorporate network elements
- Prepares and maintains detailed assignment documents on fiber projects and communicates these with facilities engineering
- Prepares detailed drawings, cost estimates and material requirements for the planned installation of OSP facilities
- Works with facilities to prepare methods and procedures for cutover on new or rearranged plant facilities
- Communicates with GIS team to notify of new markets and land base needs
- Provides as-built fiber drawings to mapping technicians
- Work with mapping technicians to provide/create/update special maps for OSP, sales, and management
- Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure the effective operation of the department.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Prior experience as OSP Design Engineer or 5+ years OSP experience in cable construction and maintenance
- Must demonstrate an understanding of communications distribution networks on fiber
- Solid knowledge in OSP construction methods and practices as set by RUS, Telcordia, and BICSI
- Experience in MicroStation CADD software desired Bentley Coms specific is a plus
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Visio, Excel, and Word