OSP Engineer, Hargray Communications
Are you looking for a career where time flies by and you are continually learning? Do you enjoy fast-paced work and delight every customer? Then you should join the Outside Plant team of Hargray Communications as an OSP Engineer
General Description of Position:
The OSP Engineer will be focusing on Design and Construction and will perform design and cost estimates about the new-build and over-build of Hargray’s OSP facilities. Primary responsibilities include utilizing basic GIS-based field and drafting tools to perform field operations such as taking field notes, drafting such field notes, submitting permits, construction scheduling and supervision, and obtaining financial approval on a given project. Additionally, this position will support supervisors in the planning and managing of weekly and monthly schedules, as well as identify resource gaps for upcoming workloads. The ideal candidate for this role should show initiative and be motivated to grow and learn, as well as have the ability to provide second-level support for projects within the assigned market.
For over 70 years, Hargray has been connecting customers and the world, growing from a local phone company to an industry leader providing residential, business, enterprise, and carrier wholesale communications services. Our mission is to envision and deliver customer delight. In addition to our long history of dedication and commitment to our community, we offer benefits for your health, wealth, protection, well-being, time, and more. Our team of more than 800 colleagues across multiple locations in South East is committed to excellence, delivering the most advanced technology and the best service for our customers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in developing overall OSP system design for new developments and over-builds for fiber and HFC facilities.
- Perform inspections of the communications utility.
- Performs QC work in the field to ensure contractors meet Hargray construction standards.
- Coordinates schedules with builders, developers, and common use utility companies.
- Prepares cost estimates and material requirements for projects, manages project financials and performs financial true-up of projects at the close.
- Prepares and maintains detailed assignment documents of fiber projects and communicates these with Facility Engineers.
- Assist in evaluating new OSP products and designs for possible implementation.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual engineering budget. Manage purchase orders and vendor invoices.
- Initiate OSP work orders for construction.
- Uses CAD design software to produce fiber designs and bill of materials.
- Assists in forecasting service demand to develop short, medium, and long-range plans.
- Works with network engineers to incorporate network elements.
- Provides current new development land base and notifies mapping technicians when all changes are complete.
- Performs aerial plant engineering, including make ready and pole loading analysis. Perform engineering for OSP underground networks on fiber and HFC platforms.
- Prepare permits related to ROW, Railroad, and DOTs.
- Provide inputs on best practices, permit processes, field construction methods, and telecom products.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure the effective operation of the department.
- Associate degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Construction Management, or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in Outside Plant Engineering Design, Construction Management, or as an OSP Field Inspector.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing, as well as give effective presentations to Supervisors and Managers. Additionally, it can escalate problems and issues constructively.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team of senior-level engineers and supervisors to develop solutions to complete assigned tasks.
- Intermediate knowledge of outside plant engineering and field design methods.
- Intermediate understanding of telecom products offered and how to deliver these products to external customers.
- Intermediate understanding of the permit process for city/county/DOT/Railroad permits.
- Basic knowledge of electrical theory.
- Intermediate understanding of purchase orders and vendor invoices.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including Visio, Excel, and Word is required.
- Intermediate knowledge of drafting software is required.
- Intermediate knowledge of 3GIS is required.