Hargray’ s Mission – To Envision and deliver customer delight
At Hargray, we are looking for people to join our Network Engineering team who are extremely detail-oriented and extraordinarily passionate. We thrive on designing simple and scalable solutions to complex problems and delivering leading-edge technology to our customers.
We are looking for exceptionally ambitious and communicative hands-on people who are comfortable working with ever-changing processes and procedures as part of a cross-functional team, have experience working in fast-paced environments, and who have the passion, skills, and dedication to take our network to the next level.
The Optical Transport Network Engineer position plays an important role within Hargray, it represents an experienced professional with a high technical skill set in the engineering and support role as it pertains to the Optical Transport Network that supports all of the company’s offerings. This position is critical to the team and will be the technical resource that provides plans as well a source of information and support for all responsibilities within Transport Network. Optical Network Engineers needs to be pro-active in their work and offer suggestions, in completing tasks as well as recommending additional solutions, efficiencies and or observations. They are responsible for assisting with other engineers & overseeing transport installations; circuit creations, systems documentation, upgrades and maintaining network hardware, as well as, network operating systems for the various transport systems. Optical Transport Engineers are provided information from systems and associates so that they can respond to, investigate, diagnose, rectify and document issues as required. They also use various network and server tools to isolate and rectify issues as need be.
We are open to hiring the right talent in our Norcross, GA, Bluffton, SC, Conyers, GA or Jacksonville, FL market.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for performing tasks of high complexity relating to the architectural design/topology and Tier III/IV service/troubleshooting (problem analysis) of all transport equipment (SONET, digital, DWDM, analog, and telephony) including but not limited to fiber equipment, MUX/DEMUX, and status monitoring equipment.
- Provides technical support for network problems and simulation of network issues.
- Assists to manage and maintain high-level network protocols and configurations. Provides for procedural, informational and training documentation. Working with Corporate Engineering develops design criteria for testing of new technologies coordinating with all engineering/operations/management necessary to meet deadlines for product offerings.
- Respond to, diagnoses and resolves technical issues in relation to the Internet delivery systems, Voice over IP, and other offered services.
- Creates and maintains logs, records, diagrams, and reports of any and all network transport systems.
- Works as part of a group with other engineering departments on issues relating to all company products as it pertains to Network transport. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned
- Provide design and implementation support for data routers, Ethernet backhaul interconnect, and other supporting data systems
- SQL programming experience, ability to interpret and modify PERL scripts, and understanding of the UNIX & Linux operating systems (basic commands) desired
- Ability to balance technical and business requirements
- Overseeing installation, acceptance, and implementation of equipment
- Design and project manage the installation of both dark and LIT Fiber Optic Rings.
- Develop engineering, system performance, and operations policies and procedures
- Implement and development of job-aids and tools that document internal methods and procedures
- Superior organizational and planning skills (setting and communicating priorities; anticipating workload impact on resources of both self and team; delegating where appropriate; consistently following up on outstanding items, and providing focus in meetings and discussions)
- Degree in Computer Science, engineering, or equivalent work experience is required
- 10 or more years’ experience on multiple hardware platforms and operating systems, (Fuji, Ciena). Must have experience with Fuji transport
- Knowledge of network and system management software (Fuju, Calix, etc..)
- Strong level of knowledge of CWDM/DWDM/SONET/OTN Optical Transport hardware, software, and theory.
- Strong level of knowledge of Ethernet interfaces from Layer1 and 2 including protocols that support the routers and switches in these systems
- Strong understanding of networking technologies (Ethernet 100,1000M; Serial T1, DS1, DS3; also copper and fiber technologies)
- Experience with handheld test tools (CAT5, Fiber and Fiberscopes, T-bird 1gig, 10 gig, and 100 gig testers and Optical Spectrum Analyzers)
- GPON, AE, FTTX architecture and deployment
- Data communications including data network design, routers, switches, hubs, Ethernet, TCP/IP, MPLS
- Office computer applications: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access
- Strong networking experience to include Layer-1, Layer-2 & Layer-3 principles
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP and the following networking protocols: TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, HTTP, SMTP, FTP, SSL, ISIS, BGP, BGP Address Families, L2VPN, MPLS
- Must have strong troubleshooting ability
- Must have strong technical writing skills
- Must be able to work well under pressure & be a team player
- Must have the ability to have a flexible working schedule, 24/7 on-call support, and overnight maintenance
- MEF CECP certification a plus