LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the fourth consecutive year.
The Piping/Layout Design Specialist will drive and oversee third-party engineering, making use of technical knowledge and effective communication to all stakeholders to ensure successful completion of safe and efficient piping design on major capital projects. Will implement strategies to align with LyondellBasell Global Projects strategy and foster innovation in the piping discipline including deployment of LyondellBasell Operational Excellence Standards and Practices. This role is responsible for on-time and on-budget delivery of piping design/engineering and plant model across the portfolio of LyondellBasell Global Projects and interfacing with internal Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and discipline specialists in Houston and Mumbai, providing leadership and guidance within the organization.
Roles & Responsibilities
* Work with project team to deliver piping and detailed design/engineering across the portfolio of Global Projects and LyondellBasell. This is a demanding role that involves managing multiple projects, juggling multiple priorities and interfacing at all levels of the organization.
* Provide oversight of third party engineering firms in the piping and layout disciplines for multiple capital projects
* Responsible for Application of LyondellBasell safety and technical standards
* Focus on owner's interests of safe, reliable and cost efficient design
* Ensure on-time, on-budget delivery of piping design and facility 3D model to generate construction work packages
* Participate in facility model design reviews
* Ability to make independent decisions and choices regarding piping and facility design from an owner's perspective
* Challenge cost drivers both internally and externally optimize field installation costs while maintaining safe, code compliant, operable design.
* Able to apply and encourage common sense designs and willingness to recognize multiple paths to success
* Stays current on new industry trends, technologies, and discipline development
* Familiarity with Advanced Construction work Packaging and delivery of engineering to support field construction
* Some expertise in materials of construction and piping specifications typically used in petrochemical facilities including piping, insulation, coatings, etc.
* Familiarity with ASME, API, ANSI & other related industry codes.
* Knowledge of construction sequencing and execution
* Willingness to travel to construction/fabrication sites as needed to clarify and expedite facility erection as needed
* Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
* Able to build strong interpersonal relationships with other senior management throughout the company
* Strategic thinker - ability to think long term and articulate the vision
* Demonstrated ability to mentor and lead
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* In-depth understanding of the chemical process industries
* Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge
* Able to analyze problems and strategize for better solutions
* Goal-oriented and organized leadership
* Excellent analytical and time-management skills
* Two or Four year degree in Electrical Design, Electrical Engineering or other related field or equivalent experience in chemical process facility design or operations
* Two or Four year degree in Piping Design, Facility Design, Mechanical Engineering or other related field or equivalent experience in chemical process facility design
* Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written
* 5-15 year track record of delivering engineering in an owner's or EPC environment with a focus on cost efficient designs and timely delivery
* Hands-on experience and understanding of engineering design systems, technologies and methodologies in a Petrochemical, Oil and Gas, Engineering & Construction industry preferred
* Experience working with other related applications utilized in an engineering environment
* Experience with one or more of the following tools: AutoCAD; Hexagon (Intergraph) design tools such as SmartPlant 3D, CADWorx, SmartPlant Review, PDMS or similar
* Willing to travel domestically and internationally (approx. 20%)
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston