The Plant Engineering Project Specialist is an entry level position within the UPS Plant Engineering department. He/She will be part of a UPS project team assigned to construct or expand a UPS sortation facility. This position will assist with the General Construction of the building or the mechanical / electrical / controls installation of the conveyor system.
The Plant Engineering Specialist will be responsible for drawing and specification auditing, commissioning, quality control, testing, estimating, cost control, scheduling, and value engineering. He/She will provide reports and documentation for the job responsibilities.
- Gathers documents for project bid packages (e.g., post-feasibility cost estimate, drawing sets, etc.) to submit to the administrative group for distribution to bidders.
- Dispatches and oversees the work of outside service housekeeping vendors through physical inspections to ensure quality of work.
- Manages vendors, scheduling, and dispatching for routine maintenance and projects in the facility.
- Supervises Small PE Projects.
- Drafts Feasibility Studies.
- Manages Project Documents and Fund Allocations.
- Equipment Repair Management: Describes types of equipment problems that can occur; identifies specifications of mechanical and technical equipment; explains repair techniques and tools.
- Facilities, Equipment, and Grounds Maintenance: Identifies basic facility components requiring preventative maintenance; describes how to create preventative maintenance schedules.
- Facility Design: Identifies problems or inefficiencies with current buildings or plants; modifies or adjusts existing facility blueprints to resolve recurring building or plant failures; recommends new facility design specifications.
- Physical Assets Management: Demonstrates a basic knowledge of physical asset management; identifies physical resources to meet business needs; describes the appropriate use of existing physical tools, equipment, and materials.
- Project Management: Demonstrates understanding of implementation objectives, project plan, and one's role within a project; participates in the implementation of a project; provides timely, thorough, and concise updates for area of responsibility; identifies areas of risk and properly communicates them to the project manager.
- Project Planning: Demonstrates an understanding of basic project planning processes, including planning action items and resources.
- Report Generation: Possesses ability to generate simple reports using basic functions in software, and/or writing basic queries; identifies information required to complete reports and identifies existing reports generated by others.
- Technology Implementation: Able to communicate designed and developed technology solutions and their desired outcome in general terms; expresses the importance of an effective implementation; develops implementation plans.
- Bachelor’s degree – Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, or related Engineering program – Preferred
- Experience with PLCs or related programming and troubleshooting – Preferred
- Experience demonstrating knowledge of networks – Preferred
- Experience with Motor Control theory and operation – Preferred
- Experience with AC and DC electrical troubleshooting - Preferred
- Experience with MS Office Suite, or similar software - Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law