The Plant Engineering (PE) Specialist troubleshoots, calibrates, analyzes and adjusts Automated Sortation Systems as necessary to maintain optimal performance of Plant Floor Equipment. Responds to sort calls and breakdowns and expedites their completion. Proactively identifies equipment or human interface that is the cause of system defects. This position will combine the individual’s technical knowledge and analytical skills to support an Automated Sortation System. This position will require the individual to have a working knowledge of the entire Automated Sortation System and processes required to maintain and support the following
Automated Sortation System
- Conveyor Systems (Belting, Power Units, Pulleys, Rollers)
- Height Sensor / Photoeyes
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
- Imaging Systems (Camera / Lights)
- Laser Scanners
- Dimensioning Systems
- Human Machine Interface (HMI) Systems
- Plant Floor PC Hardware and Applications
- Uninterruptable Power Supplies
- Troubleshooting Sortation System up to Second Level Support
- Calibrating and Adjusting Plant Floor Equipment
- Maintaining and Analyzing Statistics
- Analyzing and Correcting Operation’s Methods
- Reports on reliability and defect issues at area presort meetings
- Identifies and Corrects Both Systems and Human Issues Resulting in Automated Misloads and Poor Package Care
- Communicating and Coordinating with Maintenance Mechanics
- Computer Virus Procedures (Updates, Patches, Auditing)
- Reading and Interpreting Single Line Electrical Drawings
- Auditing Plant Floor Equipment
- Performing Preventive Maintenance Program
- Coordinating, Inventorying and Ordering of Spare Parts
- Testing of Equipment
- Performing Disaster Recovery Preparedness
- Responds to poor performing or malfunctioning sortation systems and schedules or makes necessary adjustments to machine interface
- Troubleshoots, calibrates, and adjusts encoders, photocells and other plant floor sensors, DWS units, laser scanners, CCD
cameras and Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).
- Troubleshoots PLC processors, the I/O, and PLC network
- Responds to poor performing or malfunctioning Dimensional Weight System (DWS) components and schedule or make necessary adjustments to these components.
- Perform Preventive Maintenance Inspections of Plant Floor Equipment.
- Order replacement equipment.
- Test all new and repaired equipment.
- Conduct periodic inventory of spare equipment.
- Troubleshoots, modifies, and maintains UPS proprietary Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) logic.
- Troubleshoots, modifies, and maintains UPS proprietary PC applications.
- Analyze Technical Data
- Perform optimization studies
- Perform Plant Floor project engineering tasks
- Participate in group training activities.
- Working Knowledge of AC and DC, Motor Control, 480v Power Distribution and the ability to read and interpret electrica schematics and elementary diagrams.
- Working Knowledge of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and Human Machine Interface (HMI) Applications.
- Working knowledge of guarding, facility safety, and compliance items.Working Knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications.
- Working Knowledge of Programming or Database Development Tools.
- Basic Knowledge of IT and Network Interfaces.
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law