The Plant Engineering (PE) Specialist supports the protection of UPS assets, facilities, equipment, and grounds. He/She assists with maintaining facility environmental compliance, conveyor system reliability, housekeeping, and facility safety. This position manages small projects and oversees the work of outside contractors. The PE Specialist creates and drafts package handling systems. He/She drafts conveyor design options using computerized drawing software (i.e., AutoCAD), computes cost estimates of design alternatives, and documents the design process. This position is also responsible for supporting the Systems Design Project Engineer in communicating the design options to internal stakeholders. The PE Specialist assists in creating electrical design drawings to bid for outside contracts, producing electrical standards, updating the Plant Engineering (PE) website, and providing Computer Aided Drafting (AutoCAD) maintenance support to the Conveyor Electrical group.
The PE Specialist assists with the conveyor system maintenance to ensure that equipment runs smoothly and efficiently. He/She assists with determining proper corrective action to be taken with damaged or worn equipment based on the history of breakdowns and discussions
with the operations team to determine the most cost effective solutions. This position assists with dispatching PE Mechanics to complete necessary conveyor system repairs and Preventative Maintenance Inspections (PMIs), using Maximo to schedule work so the equipment runs smoothly and efficiently. The PE Specialist assists with developing the scope of work, and estimates costs using UPS guidelines and industry standards so projects can be evaluated against the district budget and approvals obtained. He/She assist on small projects or those with low to medium complexity, submits estimate and alternatives, schedule, drawings, vendor list, and feasibility study to District Real Estate
and Facilities Committee (REFCO) for project approval.
- Assists with conducting facility inspections and identifying operational improvements needed to promote efficiency of package flow and safety.
- Assists with overseeing the protection of physical assets, facility and equipment maintenance, and facility housekeeping to ensure a safe, clean, and efficient facility.
- Assists with identifying and scheduling necessary repairs and preventative maintenance, through the use of PE mechanics and outside vendors, to maintain the condition of the facility.
- Maintains vendor contract compliance and oversees vendor payment to ensure the work is done to specifications and vendors are paid upon completion.
- Assists with developing the scope of work, and estimates costs using UPS guidelines and industry standards so projects can be evaluated against the district budget and approvals obtained.
- Provides environmental compliance training as directed both within Plant Engineering and cross-functionally to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Delivers required regulatory training (e.g., Lockout Training/Hazmat Training) as directed, to PE and non-PE personnel.
- Follows REFCO procedures to assist in contributing complete and accurate information that leads to sound financial decisions.
- Researches existing documents (e.g., site plans, archived drawings, etc.) to determine the physical layout for proposed conveyor systems.
- Gathers documents for project bid packages (e.g., post-feasibility cost estimate, drawing sets, etc.) to submit to the administrative group for distribution to bidders.
- Detail Orientation: Captures/documents specific and accurate information; learns subjects thoroughly and in detail; completes work with thoroughness; supplies appropriate details when requested; maintains organized files.
- Project Management: Demonstrates understanding of implementation objectives, project plan, and one's role within a project; participates in the implementation of a project; provides timely, thorough, and concise updates for area of responsibility; identifies areas of risk and properly communicates them to the project manager.
- Technology Knowledge: Demonstrates a general understanding of technology used by the company; communicates basic technological concepts and terminology; applies standard technology in daily work.
- Vendor/Supplier Management: Identifies internal customers’ needs and vendors to meet those needs; determines costs and benefits to UPS for vendors’ products, commodities, or services; creates bid proposals for vendor solicitation; analyzes vendor responses and develops recommendations for award.
- Equipment Repair Management: Describes types of equipment problems that can occur; identifies specifications of mechanical and technical equipment; explains repair techniques and tools.
- Facilities, Equipment, and Grounds Maintenance: Identifies basic facility components requiring preventative maintenance; describes how to create preventative maintenance schedules.
- Facility Design: Identifies problems or inefficiencies with current buildings or plants; modifies or adjusts existing facility blueprints to resolve recurring building or plant failures; recommends new facility design specifications.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or internationally comparable degree) or be a current UPS employee with three years of UPS experience- Preferred
- Experience using computerized drawing software (i.e., AutoCAD)-Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law