LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 55 sites in 17 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including; packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
We are currently seeking to fill a Process Safety Engineer position to support LyondellBasell's 3 high density polymers (HDPE) sites located near Alvin, Bay City and Victoria, TX. We provide a collaborative working environment that supports personal growth, development, and recognition. GoalZero Safety performance is a core value for LyondellBasell. This is an excellent growth opportunity for an engineering professional assigned within the organization's technical function. This position will be based at our Matagorda site located 13 miles south of Bay City, TX. The Matagorda area is renowned for its fishing and outdoor activities, which makes it a hot spot for outdoor enthusiasts, and without all of the traffic and congestion of the big city. The position offers a competitive base salary, annual bonus, excellent 401K match, generous benefits package, pension plan and employee discounts.
The Process Safety Engineer is a process safety leader for all three sites. A primary focus for the individual will be to actively lead and coordinate the PHA and HAZOP process. The individual will be a key participant in all the PSM programs. This position will influence and identify opportunities for improvement in the process safety program for all three sites. The individual will interface with a diverse group of customers including process engineering, operations, maintenance, capital projects, plant management, HSE, and global process safety.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Lead and coordinate PHA and HAZOP activities. Must be knowledgeable and competent with these processes.
- Write and implement effective procedures that support process safety, including management of change procedure (MOC).
- Monitor and develop key performance indicators (most importantly, leading indicators) to track PSM progress.
- Participate in operational excellence (OE) gap analysis and external OE audits.
- Understand PSM implications of incidents and provide guidance to site for proper classification, investigation, and improvements.
- Coordinate process safety knowledge sharing and best practices across the three sites.
- Communicate external process safety events and share best practices identified within the company.
- Provide oversight and conduct audits for management of change (MOC), pre-start up safety review process (PSSR), facility siting and procedures to practice.
- Lead or participate in incident investigations.
- Participate in company process safety technical networks.
- Track and understand action items from Process Hazard Analyses.
- Must possess a four-year applicable BS degree in engineering.
- A minimum of 4 years' experience in a chemical or petrochemical facility.
- Knowledgeable about PHA and HAZOP processes.
- Trained as a PHA Leader or experience with multiple PHA's.
- Familiar with the design and application of Independent Protection layers (IPL's), Safety Critical Variables (SCV's) and Critical Administrative Controls (CAC's).
- Knowledgeable in relief system evaluations and designs.
- Familiar with Safety Instrumented Functions (SIF) , associated Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) Cause and Effect Charts, Control System Narrative, As Low as ALARP Safety Integrity Level (SIL).
- Knowledge of OSHA PSM and EPA RMP regulatory requirements.
Chemical Engineering degree is preferred.
Builds effective teams:
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity:
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston