The Area Manager is responsible for the management of multiple work items from the time the Project is being developed during the Planning Phase up until the final milestone is met, the availability is complete, and the ship is successfully delivered back to the customer. The Area Manager will perform in a professional position requiring knowledge of both Combatant and Non Combatant vessels. Within defined objectives, the Area Manager is responsible for managing multiple non-complex work items, providing status on work item schedule and cost impacts. They are responsible for coordinating all subcontractor and organic trade activities to ensure schedule objectives are accomplished. Area Managers perform as a representative of our Company and act as the point of contact for assigned work items to our customers.
POSITION DEMANDS (Education/Training)
Typically has a BA/BS in Engineering, Computer Science, Science or a related academic field or AA/AS plus 2 years directly related experience or 6 years directly related experience.
POSITION DEMANDS (Required Experience)
- Preferred minimum of six (6) years of shipboard repair experience within a Public or Private shipyard (Prior military experience with the US Navy in an engineering or directly related field would qualify).
- Must have a minimum of six (6) years' experience managing technical personnel within complex activities or shipboard availabilities.
- Must have experience in using Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Project, Excel, Word and Power Point while being able to navigate in the computer server environment.
- Experience of working within a 'Cost Type' or 'Fixed Type' Contract is a plus, but not a pre-requisite.
- Must have a valid driver's license, with reliable, insurable transportation and willing to carry a 'business' rider if necessary while using this vehicle when accomplishing company business activities.
- Able to gain access to Government facilities, and able to obtain a Security clearance once employed by client.
- Able to work nights and weekends during peak workloads or as requested by Senior Management. Must be willing to travel and manage ship repair availabilities in remote, out-of-state locations for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment- including a respirator.
Vision Requirements: The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: operating machines where the seeing job is at or within arm's reach or performing mechanical or skilled trade tasks of a non-repetitive nature such as ones by electricians, technicians, service people, painters, mechanics, etc.
- Reports to the Ship Manager for the assigned project.
- Maintain relevant/professional outsourcing relationships with our Teaming Partners/Sub Contractors in tracking milestones and work percent complete for all contracted work.
- Notify Accounting Department when work completion takes place so invoices can be sent to customers and payments to Teaming Partners/Sub Contractors can be approved in a timely manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with and manage others.
- Has supervisory responsibility for all employees assigned to the project team.
- Ensures all project information being provided by our customers is forwarded to all departments within our company, and that all project data and information is regularly entered into the appropriate management data systems for internal reviews.
- Implements Project Management processes and tools by contributing to the process and providing guidelines to support the project.
- Assists the Planning Department in developing project proposals, job estimates and schedules.
- Able to assemble, plan, lead and facilitate regular cross-functional Project Team meetings with company personnel, our Sub Contractors, as well as representatives from our customers and the US Navy.
- Able to develop detailed task list, work effort assessment, including short and long term impacts
- Able to identify changes in work scope to ensure appropriate planning measures are being taken within the Planning, Estimating, Production and Contracts Departments, including the customers inputs for reassessing, renegotiating, and amending the scope of work, schedules and budgets.
- Must be able to identify, assess and analyze with the Team, any risk and/or issues that may compromise the successful completion of the project, and develop plans/actions that will remove this risk. Able to provide the Ship Manager when schedule / production conflicts occur options and recommendations for a reasonable resolution.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Responsible to provide independent, complex analysis, concept formulation and new method identification.
Maintain overall responsibility of work item budgets and schedules to ensure project completion of their assigned work is 'On-time and On Schedule'.
We know that a company's success starts with its employees. We also know that an individual's success starts with the right career opportunity. As a Best of Staffing® Client and Talent leader, Aerotek's people-focused approach yields competitive advantage for our clients and rewarding careers for our contract employees. Since 1983, Aerotek has grown to become a leader in recruiting and staffing services. With more than 250 non-franchised offices, Aerotek's 8,000 internal employees serve more than 300,000 contract employees and 18,000 clients every year. Aerotek is an Allegis Group company, the global leader in talent solutions. Learn more at Aerotek.com.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, such as the modification or adjustment of the job application process or interviewing process due to a disability, please call 888-237-6835 or email accommodation@aerotek .com for other accommodation options. However, if you have questions about this position, please contact the Recruiter located at the bottom of the job posting. The Recruiter is the sole point of contact for questions about this position.