Here at Discount Tire, we celebrate the spirit of our people with extraordinary pride and enthusiasm. Our business has been growing for more than 55 years and now is the best time in our history to join us. We are opening more locations every year and we are always looking for qualified individuals to join us in our growth. We are a company that promotes from within, both in our retail and corporate operations.
The QA Assistant Manager provides day to day supervision of department staff. Manages operational activities of the department including strategy development and implementation, operating plans and budgets, value generation initiatives, policies, procedures, systems, and reporting. Builds and manages a high performance team to ensure that the software we develop is both fit for purpose and fit for use through efficient, reliable and repeatable testing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Builds and implements testing organizational strategies and roadmaps in coordination with other SQS leadership
- Enforces and enhances Quality Assurance / Software Testing best practices
- Coordinates with Product Managers and Project Managers to understand project resource allocation requirements
- Recommends resources for project and operational work based on Quarterly Delivery Planning outputs
- Partners with vendors to contract and onboard resources to support a flexible staffing model
- Creates testing metrics and trending reports
- Provides direction and feedback on the day-to-day activities of employees. Communicates clear job expectations, goals and development opportunities. Coaches and mentors.
- Serves as an escalation point for interpersonal and operational employee challenges
- Monitors department projects to ensure projects are delivered on time, within budget and to agreed quality level
- Gathers, tracks and reports department attainment of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to upper management
- Ensures the highest level of Customer Delight by promoting and providing excellent customer service
- Ensures Company procedures are followed, including the tracking and publishing of metrics
- Works collaboratively across departments to identify and resolve risks, conflicts and challenges, recommends resolution and implementing process improvements
- Stays current on the latest industry technologies, trends, and strategies; brings forward solutions and serves as a Trusted Expert
- Participates in Company management initiatives such as: meetings, conferences, and committees
- Develops and maintains departmental governance procedures
- Supports decisions made by Company leadership
- Other duties as assigned
- This position requires a minimum of five years direct experience in Software Testing / Quality Assurance with two years lead or supervisory experience.
- Proven experience leading a testing team with a strong understanding of manual and automated testing practices.
- Strong understanding of QA/QE best practices and the testing/development tools that support them (e.g. ALM, Jira, UFT, Selenium, Performance Center, Jenkins, BitBucket, SOAPUI, etc.)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint is needed.
- Expert ability to communicate across all levels of the organization, present complex ideas concisely and clearly articulate ideas both verbally and in writing is necessary.
- Excellent analytical, planning and negotiation skills are needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the expert ability to develop strong relationships with key members of both internal and vendor teams.
- Demonstrated business acumen with an expert knowledge and understanding of business issues, priorities, goals, and strategy is necessary.
- Must be highly organized, extremely detail oriented with strong leadership experience.
- Maintaining confidentiality, treating others with respect and upholding Company values is a key attribute.
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced, goal oriented, and time sensitive environment.
- The ability to drive organizational transformation; communicates openly and builds consensus with stakeholders.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent experience is required.
Professional certifications are a plus.
Normal work days are Monday through Friday. Occasional Saturdays and Sundays may be necessary.
Normal work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Additional hours may be necessary.