LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the third consecutive year.Basic Function
LyondellBasell Industries, one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies, is seeking an Research & Development Polymer Technician to join the Analytical R & D team for the Cincinnati Technology Center. As a member of the team you will support R&D Analytical Laboratory unit reach its objectives, and annual goals. The R&D Analytical Laboratory provides analytical support and polymer science to all LYB polymer businesses in the Americas which include internal and external customers, manufacturing plants, and 3rd party tollers. This position reports to the Analytical Lab Supervisor of the Cincinnati Technology Center.Roles & Responsibilities
1) Exhibit excellent safety leadership in the workplace consistent with company and site HSE goals. Accountable for personal safety, safety of co-workers and promoting a safe work environment.
2) Analytical polymer characterization utilizing a subset of the following techniques:
Chromatographic analysis using HPLC and GC systems
Mass spectrometry analyses including LC/MS, GC/MS, ICP/MS
Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC) Analyses of polymers
Rheological polymer characterizations
Thermal analysis of polymers including DSC, TGA, DMA
Spectroscopic analyses including NMR, FTIR, Raman, XRD, UV/Vis
Elemental analyses using ICP, XRF
Microscopic Analyses using SEM/EDS and optical methods
Sample preparation: polymer milling, refluxing, liquid/liquid extraction, microwave extraction and Ultramicrotomy
3) Perform routine analytical testing related to polymer characterization safely according to established methods and procedures.
4) Perform routine calibration, maintenance, safety and accuracy checks on assigned equipment.
5) Report, discuss and interpret data and observations using statistical data analysis.
6) Interface effectively with R&D managers, researchers, other technicians, engineers, site HSE and other support staff for the planning and execution of efficient experimental programs with the highest attention to detail and data integrity.
7) Engage in frequent developmental dialog with supervisor and others to continually enhance personal and group performance and development.
8) Focus on contributing a positive attitude and exhibit a high degree of Teamwork.
9) Identify and implement new idea for quality, safety and reliability driven improvements.
1) Associates degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or a related technical field preferably with 2 or more years of experience in an R&D, manufacturing or industrial laboratory.
A Bachelor's degree or higher in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering is preferred.
2) Solid background in computer-based instrument control systems, statistics and Microsoft Office.
3) Highly self-motivated individual, focused on providing quality laboratory data in an efficient manner, while exhibiting excellent workplace leadership skills in pursuit of project goals and site/company initiatives.
4) Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
5) Problem solving skills and the ability to make competent, independent, decisions in a timely manner to ensure excellent progress on projects and assigned tasks.
7) Ability to work safely when handling hazardous chemicals with proper safety precautions, equipment and PPE.
8) Ability to effectively manage multiple and or changing priorities with minimal supervision.
9) Excellent technical and mechanical problem-solving skills.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Cincinnati