LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the fourth consecutive year.
The R&D Product Development Engineer will be responsible for (1) providing compounding and extrusion expertise and (2) leading and/or supporting product development, industrialization, and commercialization of polyolefin-based products into new or existing applications. The focus area includes mechnical recycling, closed-loop projects, and design for recycling initiatives. This includes managing and/or developing the technical aspects of business-driven projects with a circular design mindset.
The aim of the role is to enhance LyondellBasell's competitive advantage in targeted markets, aligned with Business Stakeholders (Polymers and Technology) and in close dialogue / collaboration with the R&D EU organization.
Roles & Responsibilities
The R&D Product Development Engineer provides subject matter expertise for extrusion / compounding and leads and/or supports product development projects for LyondellBasell's Polyolefin products in rigid / molding (e.g., blow molding, injection molding, pipe, etc.) and flexible / extrusion (e.g., packaging film, etc.) applications.
- Provide subject matter expertise in extrusion for projects related to polyolefins compounding and mechanical recycling
- Provide fundamental technical subject matter expertise in polymer structure / property / process relationships
- Apply a fully circular design approach nurturing mechanical recycling, closed-loop, eco-design and design for recycling initiatives
- Assess feedstock quality requirements for recyclates and plastic waste flows, support development of new formulation and recipes, to drive optimum incorporation level of recyclates in final products and at the same time maximizing properties in the end-use applications
- Focus on business innovation themes and on target end-use segments, to enhance LyondellBasell's business competitiveness and maintain and further grow differentiation and competitive advantage in the market
Roles & Responsibilities (cont.)
Some specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Drive GoalZERO HSE performance and behaviors through active engagement and employee involvement to provide a safe work environment
- Highly self-motivated individual, committed to delivering results
- Excellent attention to detail, with strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Positive team behaviors, including interpersonal skills, positive attitude, sharing information, and giving and accepting feedback
- Good organizational and time management skills, in order to effectively manage multiple and/or changing priorities
- Interface effectively with R&D Researchers and Technicians with definition of requirements and identification of solutions for projects
Roles & Responsibilities (cont)
- Working cross-functionally to manage / support product and process development or improvement projects from initiation, through qualification, to subsequent industrialization / commercialization in support of business objectives
- Coordinating the activities of multi-functional teams to achieve objectives using collaboration, personal influence, and excellent organization and project management skills
- Initiating and developing ideas related to extrusion, compounding, product and / or application development opportunities, along with conducting scouting research and designing experiments to develop proof-of-concept, with the intent of establishing technical and commercial feasibility
- Providing technical subject matter expertise in extrusion / compounding and polymer structure / property / process relationships
- Working with the Polymer Businesses, Technical Service, and Manufacturing to develop and implement strategies to enhance LYB's polyolefin products
- Interfacing with Procurement, Global Engineering (GE&T), R&D EU Extrusion & Compounding groups, APS, and third parties (such as universities and/or recycling companies) as needed in support of mechanical recycling
- Interfacing with Technical Service, Marketing, Sales, Product Management, Manufacturing, Product Safety, and Intellectual Property group members in support of business needs
- Approximately 10 to 25% travel within North America, with occasional trips to Europe and other regions possible
Minimum requirement is a Bachelor degree in areas including Polymers, Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Engineering with relevant process engineering experience; Degree in mechanical or chemical engineering preferred
Minimum 0-10 years of experience in a technical role (R&D, Application Development & Technical Service, Polymers Compounding/Manufacturing)
- Technical Skills: strives to continuously build knowledge and skills, including understanding of polymer science, polymer processing, extrusion / compounding equipment and techniques, resin characterization methods, product performance testing, and understanding of applications requirements; Shares expertise with others.
- Innovation: generates new ideas; challenges the status-quo
- Drive for Results: steadfastly pushes self and others for results; works with passion and a sense of urgency; hands-on attitude
- Project Management: strong capability to manage projects in an organized, timely, collaborative and effective way
- Priority Setting: spends his/her time, and the time of others, on what is important; zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus
- Interpersonal Capability: builds appropriate rapport with others both within LYB and externally with relevant stakeholders; builds constructive and effective relationships; encourages cooperation and collaboration
Critical Competencies/Behaviors (cont.)
- Courage: does not hold back anything that needs to be said; provides current, direct, complete input and feedback
- Focus on Sustainability: understanding and knowledge of sustainability principles and LYB's core objectives in this space
- Developing Self and Others: takes on challenging tasks and assignments; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; provides guidance and mentoring to those who need help and further development
- Strong Initiative, Problem Solving & Decision Making, and Teamwork skills are essential for this position
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with technicians, fellow researchers, plant engineers, and upper management
- Good organizational and time management skills, including the ability to effectively manage multiple and/or changing priorities
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Cincinnati