LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the third consecutive year.
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is seeking a Researcher/Scientist to join our R&D Analytical team at the Houston Technology Center (HTC) located in the Houston, TX area. HTC functions as the Research and Development (R&D) Center for Lyondell Chemical Company's Intermediates and Derivatives (I&D) and Olefins Businesses. As a member of our team, you will support HTC in reaching our objectives of improving catalyst and process technologies and provide technical support to our manufacturing and business organizations.
Roles & Responsibilities
* Utilize analytical knowledge to innovate and solve problems related to chemical research and process development, specifically in the area of elemental analysis.
* Provide technical leadership in the areas of ICP, XRF, XRD and SEM/EDS analysis applied to chemicals and catalysts.
* Directing the work of 1-2 lab technicians and/or specialists in conducting routine and non-routine sample analyses. Champion safety by leading by example, and conducting and participating in work place safety meetings.
* Maintain equipment in good operating condition and develop capital plans to replace or upgrade the equipment.
* Ensure that all lab procedures are well-documented and communicated with the highest attention to personnel safety.
* Remain current on key analytical developments in order to introduce advanced analytical methods
* Participate in internal expert groups to leverage best practices.
* Maintain regular communications with management to ensure alignment with R&D objectives.
* Minimum BS in Chemistry or related discipline with minimum of 6-8 years relevant academic and/or industrial experience, PhD preferred. A strong background in ICP/OES/MS and XRF spectroscopy with at least 3-5 years experience in chemical sample analysis and preparation techniques is required.
* Advanced application knowledge of ICP/OES/MS and XRF spectroscopy with experience in organic sample analysis and preparation techniques is required. Experience with AA, XRD and SEM/EDS is highly desired.
* Demonstrated technical expertise through journal articles, reports, presentations, posters, and/or patents.
* Demonstrated creative problem-solving skills and innovation.
* Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills.
* Able to work independently to develop and implement new Analytical methods.
* Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities while meeting critical deadlines
* Strong team player.
* Compliance with all safety standards, practices, and requirements
* An employee working in this job will be expected to sit and stand 90% of their 8-hour shift. The employee does have the ability to take breaks as needed and will be required to stand, sit, squat, stop, and/or kneel for various administrative tasks. Should be able to lift or move 50 lbs.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Referral Bonus: $1,500.00
Nearest Major Market: Houston